Baby Blue problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Jayne, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Any amp geeks out there? I've got an old Baby Blue head which blows the line fuse a couple of seconds after power is applied. The output transistors get hot as well-looks like some component is telling them to draw a ton of current for no good reason. Doesn't matter if inputs or speakers are plugged into amp or not. No sound to speakers when this happens. I installed new output transistors assuming one or all were faulty-problem remains. For the heck of it I installed a new pre tube, no difference. I can't find a good schematic anywhere, a lot was lost when Fender took over SWR. I am a reasonably able tech but am out of my depth here-any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Dave.
  2. Sounds like you either got a short on the output to ground or a short in the output stage (blown power or driver transistor). I just got a schematic for my Basic Black amp from SWR. I fixed it the first time without a schematic (blown output transistors from a friend blasting the hell out of it) but it was time consuming.

I sent them a message viatheir website and received a pdf schematic in email. Couldn't be any easier. Give it a try.
  3. Ok thanks, I'll do that. Last time I tried nothing was available from SWR(for Baby Blue). If it's still not available I'll bet the Basic Black drawing is close enough.
  4. BTW, be patient. I got Eden pdf schematics (for my WT-800) in a day via email, but I had to wait about a week for SWR to send the Basic Black schematics.
  5. Ok, I can wait- it's been down for at least a year. I just sent a request to them. Thanks again.