1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Baby Blue problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Jayne, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Any amp geeks out there? I've got an old Baby Blue head which blows the line fuse a couple of seconds after power is applied. The output transistors get hot as well-looks like some component is telling them to draw a ton of current for no good reason. Doesn't matter if inputs or speakers are plugged into amp or not. No sound to speakers when this happens. I installed new output transistors assuming one or all were faulty-problem remains. For the heck of it I installed a new pre tube, no difference. I can't find a good schematic anywhere, a lot was lost when Fender took over SWR. I am a reasonably able tech but am out of my depth here-any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Dave.

2. Sounds like you either got a short on the output to ground or a short in the output stage (blown power or driver transistor). I just got a schematic for my Basic Black amp from SWR. I fixed it the first time without a schematic (blown output transistors from a friend blasting the hell out of it) but it was time consuming.

I sent them a message viatheir website and received a pdf schematic in email. Couldn't be any easier. Give it a try.

3. Ok thanks, I'll do that. Last time I tried nothing was available from SWR(for Baby Blue). If it's still not available I'll bet the Basic Black drawing is close enough.

4. BTW, be patient. I got Eden pdf schematics (for my WT-800) in a day via email, but I had to wait about a week for SWR to send the Basic Black schematics.

5. Ok, I can wait- it's been down for at least a year. I just sent a request to them. Thanks again.