1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Baby blue w/extension cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrackBass, May 10, 2006.

1. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    Just scored an original baby blue. i looked up the manual online and it gave a rated output at 2 ohms. i'm a little sceptical of running this thing at 2 ohms. the manual wasn't very clear on whether that was recommended or not. i don't really plan on running an extension speaker but i like to know the amps capabillity. also the originals had bagend speakers and were 8 ohms? that would put me at 4 ohms with another 8 ohm eclosure or 2.66 ohms with a 4 ohm enclosure.

all in all i'm diggin' this little amp a lot. and i think i got a pretty good deal on it to boot. ($450.00 out the door)

anything else i should know about this kickin' little combo?

2. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I had the original Electric Blue head back when they were new. It ran very hot driving a 4 ohm load. Even if it was designed to drive a 2 ohm load, I'd be concerned about heat, especially if you're pushing it as you would tend to do with a relatively low-power head.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's a great deal! I have an original Baby Blue (and I still need to replace the original drivers, which are, sadly, not repairable) and a Baby Blue II. I have not tried using either amp to run a 2 ohm load yet, but you could of course power another 8 ohm cab for a total 4 ohm load (or do you already have a 4 ohm cab on hand that you would like to use?). Either way, I don't think that a brief experiment would hurt the amp.

Tom.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    While the owners manual seems to indicate 2 ohm load is ok-as you noted-I wouldn't push it that hard. 8 ohm extention cab? Sure! An 8 ohm 210 or 112 might be nice.
    I've never run an extension with mine...When I need more than my bbII 2x8 can throw, I just take a different, bigger rig.
    A Thunderfunk and Schroeder 1210 are barely bigger, and provide mega more headroom and volume.
    IMO, the BBII are gerat amps, when used within their limitations: smaller low volume venues, and killer studio rig.

5. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    thanks guys, i only got it so i could have a portable amp that would fit in the front of my truck. i was just wondering about the two ohm load because i have a 4 ohm enclosure that just lays around my shop. thought about hooking up for the occasional rehersal. the baby blue will probably be enough by itself though. btw it's the eden 550 and schroeder 21012 for the big gigs.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Killer!

7. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I emailed SWR in 2002, pre-fender IIRC and received this reply :

"Me:I have a Baby Blue II combo & am considering an extension speaker, probably the Goliath III Jr. (or maybe a Triad.) Is it better to go with the 4 ohm or the 8 ohm version of the Goliath III Jr.?

SWR:I would recommend the 4 ohm version.

Me:Why? (I have read the Rabe "Plug & Play" article and still am not sure of the answer to this question).

SWR:Using an extension speaker that has the same impedance as the internal cab of the Baby Blue II will give you an equal distribution of power throughout your system."
    '