1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baby Boomers & The Local Pop/Rock Scene

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Sep 27, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I just wanted to open this discussion up again, because I think it's important and impacts allot of how we see and deal with a mutitude of issues and chalenges. I also wanted to target it more to bass players that are doing the "Pop Rock" thing.

And remember you 25 year olds are not going to stay young and pretty forever.

Just something to think about, but I believe all of us that were born in the early 50s were the 1st generation of kids that really hit the Rock Band thing hard. We had more kids in garages and basements putting stuff together than any other generation.

So why should we have to stop playing Rock. Some of you told me I should just face reality and look for a jazz or blues band , and I said no way.

In the last thread we discussed several ways to deal with aging in this business. I think we just brushed the surface though.

As long as we are realistic and professional, we know the rules we should not have to stop performing.

blue

2. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Absolutely true. You guys invented rock, why the heck shouldn't you keep playing whatever you want to? Now, about the spandex....

3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I don't think we inventef anything. We just picked up on what was out there and expanded.

Just like todays young players expand on whatever is out there now.

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    If you are sincere and it is a meaningful experience for you when you perform, it will come across regardless of how old you are and what you look like. If your audience is not sensitive enough to tell the difference you need to investigate other venues.
    I would assume the longer you've been around the more you have to say about life. Be interesting and people will be interested. If they aren't screw 'em. This is nothing new and I think it applies to anyone at any age.

Signed, an old popster.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    It does apply t all ages, however there are challenges that the 55+ folks face that are questionable.

Audiences will acept a good player regardless of age or what they look like. However , musicians audition bass players for Pop/Rock are not always going to pick you because you were the best bass player to audition.

6. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Well, I am 50 yrs. old now, and play in 2 bands. Band one has me, a 33 yr. old, a 54 yr. old, a 55 yr. old and a 61 yr. old. We play rock from as old as the 60's up to new stuff.
    Band 2 has me, 50, 2 - 31 yr olds, a 33 yr. old , and a 27 yr. old. We play a few 80's, 90's and some real new stuff ( Theory of a Deadman, HailStorm, 3 Doors Down, etc..)
    I like anything if it rocks and has feeling. That being said, the older band packs the house better than the younger band, but i would say that is because the older guys play tighter music, more difficult music, and are more apt to stay home and practice, where the younger band is distracted away from practice more and is not as tight. I think it all comes down to discipline and dedication to be successful. I think sometimes , also, that younger players are more apt to argue and get into power and volume struggles, whereas the older experienced players have been thru that and realize that it is a team effort and hopefully each member has got something different (and valuable) to bring to the table.

7. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    "However , musicians audition bass players for Pop/Rock are not always going to pick you because you were the best bass player to audition."
    Applying for days jobs ain't much different. Its' part of the reality of aging. You just do the best you can with what you've got to work with.

8. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you got a pulse and want to rock...by all means do it!

9. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Who the hell told you to stop playing rock? Don't listen to crap like that. Don't even ask people about it. Just play, man.

I am 47 today. Not a 25 y.o. hottie. Just a plain ol' mama. I play in two rock bands and a blues/alt-country band. No one ever tells me I'm too old to play. Maybe 'cause they know I"ll smack'em, just like a mom? ;-)

When I"m 60, I'm going to start a metal band. I will call it...Sciatica! We'll throw our teeth into the crowd at the end of every show.

Dude, I will go to my grave rockin'. You do the same, and tell people who think otherwise to go right to he11, and give them a Kenny G cd to speed their journey.

Cherie :bassist:

10. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Right? Its easier for me to get gigs now, than it is to get a day job. I have to compete with a jillion laid-off 30 y.ol's from Detroit and Ohio and California who don't have my health issues. Who do you want at your front desk? The receptionist with the lines on her face and the bad back, or the receptionist who is pretty, youthful, and fit? When they both have the same skills? You guessed it...the younger one gets the job.

Cherie

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Spandex is a privilege, not a right!

Cherie ;)

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It has been my experience that the older people that are still playing are the guys I want to play with. Music isn't football where you have a ten year window and then you are physically unable to do it anymore. My guitar player is well into his 50's. That means he has about 4 million hours of practice and experience under his belt. The 20 somethings are usually very understandably impressed.

13. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    I'll second this. In my current band the guitarist is in his mid-40s and he's my favorite guitarist so far. Chops for days and no ego.

If you're a boomer and you're wanting to be a rock star (as in, get signed, go tour, be famous), maybe you need to take a look at your priorities. Hollywood isn't hiring. But if you just want to rock some crowds, get some butts shaking, and have a good time playing out, you can do that for as long as you want.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Don’t get me wrong and I don’t want to belabor this discussion topic, “Aging In the Local Pop/Rock Vertical”. However, the threads have generated enough interest where we can say this is an issue that has an impact on all of use regardless of how old you are. “Nobody stays Young & Pretty Forever.

So, whether it be cultural, generational, image issue ect. The comments here are going to help someone. I know they helped me. I hope we continue this discussion from issues like not being able to see as well on stage anymore ( I can’t read a single dial, can’t tell gain from treble) to understanding the realities of auditioning and playing with a younger generation.

I am sure there are issues out there involving aging that we have not discussed yet. Anyone want to share a story

15. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I'm 53 and still the same music obsessed brat I always was and I'm not alone. Seeing nothing but adds that specify an age range, Like "under 30 only", a 49 yo guitarist (I had a band with 89-93) and I decided to try doing an original rock band again and it's taken a year and a half to find musicians our age who are current and cutting edge and not jaded/destroyed by lifestyle issues... In Boston we are lucky, there are All kinds of musicians around. We Just found a singer...that was the hardest. Just crazy sometimes. All kinds of dinosaurs around. But he's a Berklee grad who's a professional programmer now, had a psychedelic band for years that he wrote all the music and instrumental parts for...so there's depth there and things are looking very good.

99% of musicians our age are still playing in the style they stopped gigging in. So first we asked some questions...they MUST know who the YeaYeaYeas are, KingCrimson through Sonic Youth, Stereo Lab/ Cocteau Twins/Gang oF Four, Queens ofthe Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Tomahawk, Lighteningbolt, Drum&Bass/electronica etc etc and Not Just Zeppelin, Stones blues rock or Pink Floyd. Or whatever stereotype/nostalgia crap they stopped at...not that we don't Love that stuff, it's just that the world has moved on...
    It hasn't been easy finding geezers who are current. But I believe that commercially, our demographic is growing. We just have to get the audience to Come Out of their beautiful homes...maybe take a nap the next day...

The only age related issue so far, pre-gigging, is short term memory, but we record all the jams: they are sent in an email the next day... and we're all in the same boat. If you can't remember what you played two minutes ago, it's OK... On the positive side, we all know how to communicate positively and aren't wrestling with inner daddy issues, acting out impulses like a jerk and drinking. Sanity rocks.

16. hey cherie,nice to see you back.....your pm box is full....i still have those dots.....if you still want them,email me.......

17. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    "I hope I die before I get old" - The Who

Yeah, well, here's wishing you followed through with it. Rock music is for the young. Its hard enough writting new music with 40 years of nostalgia and over-idealizing by the "Me" generation hanging over your head, without actual MEMBERS of the "Me" generation in your clubs! Nobody is saying you can't play rock music, and I like seeing older bands as much as the next guy; its the weekend warriors who think music ended with Styx who need to move on with their life. And while I admire BassBrass' desire to keep up with new music, the last thing we need is Boomers trying to take THAT from us, too!

18. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    "And remember, you 25 year olds are not going to stay young and pretty forever"
    WHAT?
    I'm 57, and I'm still young and pretty..........well, maybe just pretty!

19. it is difficult to take from you something that was never yours........but since you need to possess something of your own you can have avril lavigne....

20. mh72nc

mh72nc

Sep 2, 2009
    terre haute, in
    I saw the Meat Puppets recently, and man did they rock. One of the best shows i've been to in a while. I just hope that I can still rock that hard when I'm their age. (only 25 now)