1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baby on the way; sell off some gear?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tony G, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    My wife and I are expecting our first child soon, and one thing we wanted to do before the baby was born was to get our credit card down to $0. The baby is due in about 3 months, and I still have about a few thousand on the credit card. I have budgeted to kill that debt over the next three months, and it should be no problem. However, this past December I let GAS get the better of me and I ordered a Nordy vJ5. When that bass comes, that puts about another few thousand right back on the card. Come July, I will start having to pay about $850 a month for day care, and I can't do that and pay off the Nordy in two months or so as I had hoped. It would likely take many more months to pay that bass off with the new budget taking into account the vast expense of a child. So, some options have been running through my head that I'd like to run by you all.

If the Nordy is everything I've hoped for and then some, should I sell my MTD 635? That would effectively counter the cost of the Nordy and my credit card would be at $0. Or if the Nordy is good, but not as good as my MTD is for me, I could sell that and only take a small hit.

Another thought is to sell my Epifani UL410, which would only leave me with just a UL112. Not exactly enough to do a lot of gigs with, but I'm not playing much these days as I prepare for my child's birth and only play with a small funky trio. This of course wouldn't completely get rid of the debt, but it would help.

My final thought, I keep everything, and just try to work out a way to pay off the debt that won't result in letting it sit to long and accumulating interest.

Any thoughts? Perhaps some of you have had similar situations that you could share your solutions to?

2. No debt is always good. Keeping gear around that you don't use is fun, but not really useful. Unload anything that you don't play, if that means you sell your MTD, so be it.

lowsound

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Pfft! Just sell the baby!

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Right, I hear what you are saying. As it stands right now, my MTD is my main bass. I absolutely love it's fingerstyle tone, and am only luke warm on its slap tone. That is why I ordered the Nordy. I spec'd it ash/maple to make it a slap monster. Those two together would have me very happily covered for my styles of music. However, if the Nordy is an overall tone monster, the MTD may be at risk. The only thing stopping me from selling it right now is that i've played a lot of gigs with it over the past year and I've grown fond of it.

5. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Lowsound has a point, but I'm sure you'll regret selling whatever you sell. If I were you, I'd try my best to keep whatever I have. Of course, if you're going to be worrying about the baby for some time, just sell what could easily be replaced.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I ran that past my wife. No go. :D

7. Ehhhh...

I didn't enter that situation needing to sell gear, but I did enter it a bit strapped, financially. I tell all of my friends/coworkers/random strangers that I meet who are expecting their first to buy what you want now. Your priorities flip and your not as likely to splurge on yourself after the birth. With that in mind, my vote is to wait on any sale until you're pretty sure you need to sell it.

$850 sucks. We had a cush set up with family 1 block from my wife's job until the hurricane. Now I drop a nicely appointed Toyota Corolla annually to pay for 2. My oldest will be going into private school next year and I'll actually be saving money.

Congrats on the kid. The whole experience is up and down, but I just had a great weekend with mine (3 and 5) and couldn't say enough positive things about parenthood right now. anyway, that's enough honest posting for today.

Mike

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Gig more. Make more money. Babies are overrated. :ninja:

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Wow, a rare post from Mike. ;)

Thanks for sharing Mike. You make a lot of sense. I'm not in any real need to sell anything yet, but I don't want to get in that position. I'm not sure what to do, so I'm just bouncing my thoughts off you guys for now.

10. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    ish. I hope I never have kids...

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Please Maki, I saw your "how do you know your kid is yours" thread. You are a proud papa...;)

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Believe me, I can understand not wanting any debt, but $3,000 is not an incredible amount, and if it takes you a few extra months to get to $0, take the extra time. It makes much more sense to keep gear you like than to sell some only to find yourself wanting the gear you let go only to find that you can no longer afford it because of your sweet little bundle of joy. I speak from experience. Take a little longer, and pay off what you owe, and then just chill with that Nordy and MTD.:cool:

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I hope you never do either. :D

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    That is really want I hope to do, but I can't help being apprehensive about finances right now.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, I think I'll keep him around for awhile. We went golfing today. He was the only 4 year old on the course. Hit out of the sand trap onto the green like a champ. Seriously though, you're nesting. One thing you'll realize quickly, although life does change dramatically with a kid, it's usually for the better, and all the things you love still apply. But the main thing is that life doesn't stop when you have a kid. The kid just kind of incorporates himself into it. 3k, seriously. I would be stoked to be only 3k in debt. :scowl:

16. It's just that everything changes in ways you can't prepare yourself for and I'd hate to see you (or anyone else) sell equipment that they can't easily replace out of an unnecessary abundance of caution.

Your financial situation is none of my business, but the whole process is quite expensive and there's a decent chance you simply won't be willing to buy another MTD once this one is gone.

My wife works at a hospital and our insurance is pretty good. One of our daughters developed a bit of an ear/sinus problem. Regardless of what your insurance company will pay for, when your little girl is screaming nightly, you take her to the best. Sometimes the best isn't covered by your plan and you pay A LOT out of pocket.

You just can't plan for things like that. Hang onto the gear until it's time.

Mike

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks Maki, sounds like you have a good thing going. Oh, and I said I have 3K on my credit card.... my Debt figures are very very high considering a Mortgage, car loans, home equity loan, etc...

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Thanks Mike. It really sounds like you've been where I'm going. This is why I love TB. :D

19. Also, since this thread is more about your MTD than anyhting else, could you have the mods move it to the Basses Forum so I can have a post count there? Thanks, Pink Unicorn Horsie.

:)
    Mike

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ha! Pink unicorn horsie! I had completely forgotten about that. How did that start again?