1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baby's first BIG venue gig - and it sucked.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FbassDave, Feb 24, 2008.

1. FbassDave

FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    Feeling pretty bummed right now. Tonight, I played the biggest venue I've done to date; a 1000-head capacity club, as part of the Adelaide Fringe Arts Festival.

I'd been looking forward to this one for weeks but it turned out to be a bit of a downer... To synopsise what happened:

Sound check was great, but room acoustics were suprisingly difficult to work around despite specific architectural inlusions an A grade installation job on the venue
    Substance affected Idiot MC got the band name wrong.
    Chronic hum through my channel on the desk not present during soundcheck. Switched to the DI on my amp, same deal. Soundman tried one of his, same deal. I needed to be removed from the FOH as a result.
    gui****'s Twin Reverb literally cooked in its own juices on stage by the fifth song.
    Sixth song in, I step on my looper to introduce some chewy G5 bass synth, to be met with an embarassing - and very conspicuous - SILENCE.

*sigh*

I believe the evening was cursed. Possibly by gypsies.

My role in this band is a supportive one through and through - it's not about me in the least, and I like it that way. But I get seriously upset when I don't play at my best because the overall presentation of the band is comprimised, and tonight was DEFINITELY one of those nights... I couldn't wait to get out of there...

Just needed to purge a bit.

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Drag!!! It sounds like mostly equipment failures though and not your playing. Take heart move forward.

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    And beat the piss out of the MC.:D

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Could be worse. I showed up to play for an festival crowd of about 3,000 once, and the promoter failed to mention they wouldn't be providing a PA (?!). The band before us brought theirs, but wouldn't let us use it and took it down. We played the entire show with nothing but our stage volume of our smallish rigs and our tiny Bose PA which we only run vocals through for smaller shows. This was an outdoor gig, so we couldn't even be heard beyond perhaps 50 feet. Eek.

5. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    What have you got against gypsies? :)

Sorry to hear about your gear troubles, mate. Another day, another gig.