Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baby's First Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by furtim, Jan 14, 2001.

1. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Hey, I've finally got a pic of my new Midnight Wine MIM Fretless Jazz on the web. Unless you're John Turner, you know you're jealous:

[​IMG]

I cannot stress enough how much I absolutely ADORE this bass. :D

2. dude do you adore this thing or what?
    i adore the color, if i bought a jazz it would be in the same color. nice choice

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    DUDE!! YOU STOLD MY BASS!!!!

Wait...no......

Same color as mine, the only differences are that mine is a 5 string FRETTED. Oh well. I can still wish I had a fretless.

4. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    Yep, that's very nice...great color. :)

Man, I really want a Jazz bass (this always happens when I watch the Jaco video ;)). The thing is, I think that's the first type of bass the salesman showed me before I bought the Ibanez GSR200. I remember thinking the body of the Jazz was ugly...I am <i>such</i> an idiot. :) Oh well...someday.

Joel

5. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    The J-Bass off-set body is one of the sexiest shapes in all of bassdom. Next to JT's Conklins, anyway... :eek:

6. Furtim is right, the J is definitely one of the sexiest bodies in bassdom. Only Elle McPherson is better. What? She's not a bass player? Hell, who cares?

7. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    Yeah, I'm starting to realize that. Well, in my defense (and to justify the decision to myself ;)), the GSR200 was also $100 cheaper than the Jazz, and since it was my first bass and I wasn't sure if I'd stick with it, I didn't want to spend a lot. Plus, they had the GSR200 in black. :D

But it looks like the plan for my next bass is changing. It was going to be a better six string to replace my SR406, but maybe it will be a Jazz instead. It's still a long way off, so I have time to think about it. Until then, I have all these pretty pictures to stare at. :)

Joel

8. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nurse, this man needs a razor, stat!

Peter

9. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Lol! Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm just too lazy to shave, is all. ;)

10. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Pretty bass, man. I learned on a fretless Jazz that the bassist in a band I played guitar in owned. It took a while to get used to frets when I bought my own bass. Have you tried flatwounds on it? You'll get a killer tone!

11. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    The fretless Jazzes ship with flats. :) And the tone is great. Reminds me of playing Double Bass when I dig in sometimes...