Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

baby's got the blues...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tony moore, Sep 25, 2004.

1. i just picked up a used swr baby blue II (seperate head and cab) and am having some problems with it. it will power up and play fine for 15 or so minutes. then the power light will go out and you can hear a buzz and just a faint, distorted signal. if you let it sit for about 10 minutes, it will power back up but do the same after another 15 minutes. i've tried several outlets and even the power conditioner in my home studio and still have the same problem.i've put an email into the swr folks for help...

anyone experience anything like this? fwiw, the bbII does have a tube preamp...

when it IS working, i LOVE the sound with my ebg and urb. very, very versatile amp! and just the right size and power for my needs...

thanks,

tony

2. It could posibly be the preamp tube. I saw a similar problem with a Carvin R600 series II. The owner replaced the tube and it solved the problem.

3. By the way, nice amp! :cool:

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi, try a different speaker cord. Large as guage as you can.

5. i can dig the preamp tube. but the speaker cord? can you explain that one to me?

thanks again!

tony

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Some times bad speaker cords can cause audio anomalies. Try it and see. A professional made a speakon to speakon 12 guage 1 foot long speaker cable for my EA iamp 800 and Cxl 112 (I have and love my BBII). The amp and speaker cab sounded like doggie doo. At least bordering on unexceptional. I plugged in a 5 or 6 foot braided pair 8 guage Carver not Carvin speaker cord speakon to speakon and God spoke. All frequencies, huge! Theoretically the length should out weigh the guage difference. Any way the one on my BBII is very high quality and is larger in guage then the ones they used to include with SM400s.
    It may not cause the amp light ot go out but it could explain the didtortion which could explain the amp freaking. Surely try the preamp tube the 12 ax7.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Also could be a bad electrolytic capacitor. A cap job may be called for if the amp is older than ten years or so.