1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bacchus Craft Japan 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by campbems, Feb 3, 2016.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Has anyone ever purchased any of the Bacchus standard japan basses? They are very nice looking basses that can be bought under $900. I'm thinking about getting one for a backup bass. Any feedback to what these standard basses compare to for the money?

Chicago Al likes this.
  2. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Yeah search some of my made threads and you will see I have a craft. It is on par with a Fender custom shop in terms of tone and neck quality. Pear inlays,binding, bone nut, top quality Gotoh bridge and tuners. It smokes a standard American Fender. The pickups are hand wound and the wood is very high quality. Honestly, these are not really backup basses. They are main players. The pricing is 3 times less due to the strength of the US dollar versus the yen right now.So you are looking at a bass that would be more like $2k if made in the US. Their DX basses would be around $3,500 if made here.

I put TI flats on my 4 string and it is the best playing bass I have ever owned with this setup (one of my threads should have a soundcloud link with a groove I laid down with it). It is downright impossible for me to go back to Fender now, and I played a Fender Jazz for 15 years.

I like to solo and play above the 12th fret a lot and while many fenders need to be shimmed or heated, or some other horrible thing to make the action low from fret 1 to fret 20, the Bacchus necks are dead straight. If you get one, I'd suggest a setup just because the track from Japan to your door may tweak the neck a bit, but your luthier will rave when you bring it in to him.

campbems, jd56hawk and fender68 like this.
  3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I have limited experience with these, but I have played a few briefly and was impressed. The few I played were on the heavy side, and had that seventies vibe going.

4. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    These basses look amazing with the custom binding and wood selections. You can normally find some if you look good enough for 600-1000. From the videos and the feedback these are truly a hidden gem.

5. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    I just posted the other day looking for comments on the Craft line from Bacchus, got no responses from anyone who actually had or had played one. So...good to see this! Though I had read your enthusiastic comments in an earlier, long thread about Bacchus in general, AngelCrusher.

I'd be looking at a pretty basic passive 4 string, and those are only $640 + ship now, marked down because they are 2014 stock according to the vsn site. Pretty cool looking finishes on the body too. Wish I could play one locally!

AngelCrusher likes this.
  6. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I took a shot on mine due to the same pricing and it was well worth it. It's a steal at that price imo.