1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bacchus Versue Sadowsky metro?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MichaelScott, Mar 8, 2008.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Got my year bonus and have a few thousand I can set aside for my first five string.

I like the look of the Bacchus 24 Alder and 24 Ash customs but I know that only a few people have experience playing them.

A Sadowsky metro seems more of a "safe" bet but I'd have to get a used one to make it under my budget.

I'm looking for some opinions of people that happened to have played BOTH.

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    It's taken a while but I can finally say I've got both and, to be honest, if I didn't know better I'd say they were made by the same people, there is nothing to choose between them.

Did a bit of trading recently and added this...

[​IMG]

to this...

[​IMG]

It's evident how much care and attention has gone into every aspect of the Sadowsky, it's supremely comfortable and plays like a dream. First thing I do to every instrument I get is strip it down, see how it's made, clean it and put it all back together. From the heavy duty screws to the immaculate pickup cavity it's no surprise why Sadowsky have the reputation for excellence they have.

However, I wouldn't say it is any better made or any better sounding than any of the Bacchus I've played. The Sadowsky has a slightly slimmer neck, Bacchus tend to be a bit more traditional in some aspects. In terms of build quality, though, there is nothing to choose from, they're all superbly built to very fine tolerances. This is the level all basses should be made to.

The only way I could say one has a feature the other doesn't have is that the Sadowsky has the VTC, very handy indeed... but then again the Bacchus P has glow in the dark side dots which are one of the simplest and greatest additions to a bass I can think of... seriously :)

Either way, you can't lose. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

3. +1 to Doc's post (you'll have to tell me more about the Sad mate).

Also note, the models you linked are discontinued. New models can be seen here www.deviser.co.jp/bacchus

I own two Bacchus' and have played a mates Sad Metro, construction wise, both are immaculate. Can't pick a flaw with either, frets are perfect, electronics are perfect, both play like buttah. The big difference is the Sadowsky preamp which can dish out more oomph, granted my Bacchus' are passive so that in itself plays a big part.

Both killer basses, one thing to consider is price. On my side of the world, new Bacchus' generally run a lot cheaper than Sad Metros, but that may not equate in the States.

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    The Standard 5, the black one, is still in production.The two 5ers there have preamps, both bass and treble boost, just no VTC. The P is passive. The Standard has a Bart NTCT pre and their own Handmade brand pickups are excellent, in my opinion. Depends what you think of the Bart preamp, I suppose, but I like it a lot.

On this side of the world too, the Sads are a good bit more expensive. The P, for example, cost about €850 new including shipping and taxes. You could bring in a new Standard 4 for less than €1500 easily, I reckon.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Here in the U.S. the Bacchus, is going to be a bargain in price vs. the Metro. Even after you include shipping charges from Japan.