1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bach again

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Mystrel, May 14, 2006.

1. Mystrel

Mystrel

May 8, 2006
    Qc, Canada
    hi everyone, i'm new to the forum.
    Here's a little introduction to me... (scuse my english)
    I'm a 21 years old electric-bass graduated student and i'm playing upright since 3 years now (kind of complementary instrument at college). My musical interests are very large: from Bach to Bill Evans and so on (i'm not gonna name them all, that's not the point)
    I'm presently studying (how do we spell that:eyebrow: ?) in jazz arrangment and i'm addicted to pencils and music sheets.. ex: when i'm going to the bar and find it boring, i sit alone and write counterpoints. :help: héhéhé, a little bit twisted but heh, i just love that (anyway that's not the point too).

Anyway the point is that I'm working on the menuets of the first prelude on the upright (same pitch as cello) and i'm wondering in the 2nd menuet (g minor one) if the g in the first bar(bb a bb d eb g, f...) has to be played open or on the a string. I tend to do it open but the tone is too different than the rest of the phrase (scuse my english again!). So the question is : is there a way to play open strings in the middle of a phrase in order to not destroy the sound of that same phrase? I have a teacher normally but we're in summer so i'm alone:bawl: .

I know that it seems a little bit advanced (bach) for my time of playing ( 3 years ) but i'm like that, i always try impossible things... even if I don't succeed!!!!

I know that my english is not very good for technical speaking but i'm working on it!

thx
    oh and i'm working on a 'blank' edition, so i have no bowings and fingerings.

2. Anonymous75966

Anonymous75966

Jun 29, 2004
    Short answer: yes. That G is on a weak beat, so you can play it quite soft compared to the F that follows; try playing it upbow, that may help. If you're playing separate bows, it'll land on an upbow anyway.

I try and play as many open strings and harmonics as possible for Bach, partly to get some alternative fingerings, but also because I like the dry tone. You may have a different idea though.