Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bach book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by romac, Apr 5, 2005.

1. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good book full of Bach etudes and songs with no TAB? Obviously there will be tonnes, as Bach is written for instruments that don't use TAB but is there a good one to apply to the bass guitar? I got the Joaquin de pres (sp?) one but its got the TAB underdeath which is virtually impossible to ignore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. scottz0369

scottz0369

Mar 1, 2005
    Oahu, Hawaii
  3. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    I like this: http://www.icking-music-archive.org/ByComposer/J.S.Bach.html

Specifically this:http://www.icking-music-archive.org/scores/bach/cello_suites/vc100712.pdf

4. Thanks a lot, there's some great sites there. Quick question though, for when two notes are played at the same time, should I do that? Won't some of them be extremely hard to do??

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There's a book out of Bach Two part inventions, read the bass part.

6. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
  7. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    A cello player is unable to bow more than two notes at the same time and will quickly bow the lower and let it ring while sustaining bowing on the upper notes.

To emulate this, I use a two handed tap, and hit the bass notes of a chord with the left hand and then "flam" in with the upper notes with the right hand.

Unless, for example in the first Minuet and/or Gigue in G-major, there is a trill on the upper notes (B-C), then I switch hands, trill with the left and hold the lower solid chord (G-D)with the right hand.

Some of the chords however, are managable. For everything else, pick the notes of the chord you can hit, or the ones that sound good, or substitute another chord with the same function.

YMMV.

8. That's superb. I can work on both my treble clef and bass clef reading with that and it'll last me years. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Thanks for the tips in the above post - I'll keep them in mind.

9. i got a book of amazon called "JS bach for electric bass" which is great has some 2 part inventions , bouree 1 and 2 , a piece called "presto" and a really slow one cant remember the name the pieces range from quite easy to pretty damn difficult and the music is traditional notation but has the tab under it.

10. Could you just get some masking tape and cover the TAB lines? Out of sight out of mind...?

11. I tried that but it took about 30 minutes to do a few pages and theres about 50 pages. It would take me hours. The sites offered here are great though so I don't need to worry about that TAB book any more :)

12. cool, but to get your money's worth from your book you might still give the masking tape a go. Dont do it all in one stretch - why not take 30 minutes to do the few pages you're going to practice next?