Bach Cello Suite 1, Prelude mm 33-36

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by travatron4000, Mar 10, 2005.

1. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm working on Bach Cello Suite 1 and in the prelude from bars 33-36 there are A's that repeat. Some have the "o" harmonic symbol over them and some don't. Since the harmonic pitch is right above the fingered pitch does this mean that I alternate between the harmonic and fingered pitch or is it a typo? The collection I have is by Mark Bernat and published by International Music Company, New York. Also do you recomend doing 8 or 4 notes to a bow. It's marked 8 but I'm having real touble trying to pull that off.

2. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Yeah, you are suppposed to cross strings. Its becuase the cello has an A string, so its a lot easier, as the string crossing on cello is to an open string.

I highly reccomend getting the edition edited by Rabbath. While the Bernat edition is certainly cost effective, it is not the best. The Rabbath edition is great for fingerings and bowings.

Best of luck.
  3. anonymous092513

Mar 11, 2005
    i don't know where to get rabbath one. i have the bernat edition, which is okay (the cool thing is i have his cd so i can hear how he wanted it to sound) but am looking for something more my level. im only in 8th grade but im playing like 12th gade stuff and the suites (2 is my fav)