Bach cello suites by Edgar Meyer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bram B., Aug 12, 2001.

1. I've been practicing the preludium of cello suite #1 on electric bass. Because of the low c's I transposed it to B major to make it fit on the neck. Mr. Meyer seems to have no problem with these low c's on his solo cd.. Can anybody tell me how he does this?
  2. Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    cos he plays it at pitch i the C is the equivalent of the 3rd fret on the A string?
  3. At pitch? But how does he make his c on a-string sound an octave lower? Maybe because I'm dutch I don't know the term at pitch, but please explain it to me then.
  4. Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    well, i'm not exactly sure if he plays it at pitch, hope someone else here can answer that....

for playing at pitch: the double bass and bass guitar both sound an octave lower than the notes written on a bass clef right?

The cello suites are written for bass clef, but are played in the actual pitch of the bass clef....if you would read a bass clef of cello suites and play the notes you normally would on the bass guitar, you are actually playing an octave lower than it's supposed to be. So you should be playing an octave higher than you normally play, at pitch.

But if I'm wrong about him playing at pitch, then he could be playing those low Cs using his extension, which he has I believe. So his normal E string is tuned lower to a lower C, and that could explain how he hits those notes.

5. An extension.. that sounds very likely. Thanks for the tip. It's not possible on my electric bass, however. Pity. If I play it an octave higher, the high notes don't fit anymore, because I've got a 20 fret neck. Oh well, I'll have to make do with false harmonics. Tricky, but at least it's possible.
  6. If I am not mistaking EM tunes his DB like a cello, not like a DB.
  7. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    The cello suits also sound very good and fit very easily on both the string bass and the bass guitar in the key of C. I have a copy of all of the suits transposed into that key, so I believe it is available to buy somewhere in the key of C.
  8. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you're thinking of Joel Quarrington. I've never heard anyone say that EM uses fifths tuning.

9. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Edgar does not tune in fifths, but he does use non-standard tuning on Suites 1 & 2. He uses E'-B'-E-A tuning.
  10. Hey thanks, I will update my database.