Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bach Cello Suites

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Zon Bass, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    If anyone has a recording of yourself playing any of the Bach Cello Suites, especially the prelude of the first one in G Maj (BWV 1007). I am currently working on the first suite and will get a recording up ASAP. In the meantime I would really like to hear your takes on these pieces.

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I wish I could say I had a recording of them, but I certainly appreciate them. I've been working a bit on the prelude in G major, but have yet to get it completely under my fingers. Bach slays me...

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have it in tablature format for cello if you want it. The cello tuning CGDA makes it quite easy.

4. Check your PM Zon.

5. I have a recording of me playing prelude #1 on my fretless. I just got a new ISP; maybe I can figure out how to post it.

6. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    talkbass member dave grossman has a whole page dedicated to bach. it also features some recording of himself playing it on the bass.

http://www.jsbach.net/bass/index.html

if IIRC he's not 100% satisfied with the recordings.

7. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Here is my recording. I'm sorry for the cruddy quality of the recording but have to record directly from my bass to the sound card at the moment.

It is by no means perfect and it is only the first take, but at least it is something.

Bach Cello Suite- It is about 1.4 megs

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    first, nice work Zon. Are you using the cello tuning on a 4? I have recently tried that, but usually play on my 5 in std tuning.

Now my thoughts/suggestions:
    -first, most important thing to look at in something like this is even note values. If every note is exactly a 1/16 and your muting is better (no ringing together) things will work much better.

-second, going along with the first is a constant tempo. You are taking this very fast for just beginning with it, and perhaps that is some of the problem. You need to take it more evenly (i.e. after the fermatta you sped up a great deal, etc.) An even tempo, even if it has to be slower will sound better than it already does.

-essentially the same as my first point, you seem to be hanging on a few spots in error. You also swing some parts. If you can, keep it straight and just keep going instead of making sure you have the exact note.

-through the pedling section (on A), keep notes as long as possible without overlapping, and be sure to accent every other 1/16 (i.e. not A unless doubling A)

Note: these are mostly points my teacher gave me on exactly the the same things as you.

-------------------------

I hope this helped you. Look into Yo Yo Ma's recording of this, as it should give indication as to what it sounded like close to the original intention.

9. If you can find it (not sure what recording it is on), the late Michael Hedges performed this piece on a harp guitar. It's absolutely beautiful and the depth of the drone strings around 1:25 is amazing.

10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for all of the positive feedback.

I used my six string adapted to cello tuning with the B and high C strings the same.

Monty, thanks for the suggestions.

I know that it definitely needs a lot of work, but I just got it a week ago and haven't had a lot of time to woodshed it.

Also I seem to be able to play it much better when I am not recording.

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That's always the way... :D