Bach for the young bass player-F. Zimmerman

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Garagiste, Jun 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anyone else use this book? I’ve been working my way through it for the last several months and although it may not be that complex, it’s extremely challenging to play it well, to find the most efficient fingering, to play the specified bowings, etc. I’m a jazzer that’s become enamored of arco playing (always loved classical music). Just curious if others have played through this rather humiliatingly titled book (I’ll be 48 this month). I’m also working through the Cello Suite 1 Minuets 1&2, which I understand are some of the hardest music to play on bass. And I’m on page 64 of Simandl so I guess when it comes to classical repertoire and pedagogy I am “young”.

Cheers

salcott likes this.
  2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Garagiste likes this.
  3. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I use this book occasionally when teaching. It tends more toward intermediate players than beginners, IMO, but there's some nice arrangements in there.

Garagiste likes this.
  4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I'm 69, been playing for 54 years, and am currently making my way through Simandl 1 and Bille 1. Bach for the young bass player is always on my stand.

Garagiste likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021