Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bach, good ol' Bach

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Hey whats a good site with Bach Bass tabs on it?

2. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    You might have a little difficulty finding Bach TaBz, but here's a site I've used for some Bach tunes. If you can't read standard notation, now's an excellent time to learn! :D

www.virtualsheetmusic.com

I highly recommend the cello suites, they're delicious. :cool:

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    there is a book published with bass in mind "JS Bach for Bass."

it includes both notation and tabz!

best of both worlds? even though that is a matter of opinion (and ours slants toward the "conservative"-tabs are bad), the tabs are sometimes unhelpful.

I play two (partita no. 3 in E and...um...another one!), and i noticed that the tab for the former had some bad "suggestions." It was easier to play certain notes on a different string/fret rather than what the tabs read.

If you get really serious into it, I would suggest taking lessons from a qualified teacher. My left hand technique dramatically improved from playing Bach, mostly due to the fingering (...) my teacher demonstrated to me.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Tabz for Bach!! :eek: he's gotta be rolling over in his grave now.

5. I just got this book, and although I haven't tried any of the pieces in it yet, I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

But, IMO, for $12.95 for ten J. S. Bach pieces and an included CD, it's not a bad price.

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I got the book for free from a friend several years ago. I learned one piece from it and play it all the time for warming up. It was written for violin, and when I played the original for my wife (from a Bach CD we have) she said it was so fast that I'd never be able to play it on bass at full speed. I proved her wrong. Now when I can play it at full speed, I know I'm warmed up and ready to play.

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Paging Dave Grossman...

Actually, if you must have Bach tabz, www.activebass.com has quite a few, which I must confess I have used before in the past.