Bach, good ol' Bach

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Hey whats a good site with Bach Bass tabs on it?
  2. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    You might have a little difficulty finding Bach TaBz, but here's a site I've used for some Bach tunes. If you can't read standard notation, now's an excellent time to learn! :D

I highly recommend the cello suites, they're delicious. :cool:
  3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    there is a book published with bass in mind "JS Bach for Bass."

it includes both notation and tabz!

best of both worlds? even though that is a matter of opinion (and ours slants toward the "conservative"-tabs are bad), the tabs are sometimes unhelpful.

I play two (partita no. 3 in E one!), and i noticed that the tab for the former had some bad "suggestions." It was easier to play certain notes on a different string/fret rather than what the tabs read.

If you get really serious into it, I would suggest taking lessons from a qualified teacher. My left hand technique dramatically improved from playing Bach, mostly due to the fingering (...) my teacher demonstrated to me.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Tabz for Bach!! :eek: he's gotta be rolling over in his grave now.
  5. I just got this book, and although I haven't tried any of the pieces in it yet, I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

But, IMO, for $12.95 for ten J. S. Bach pieces and an included CD, it's not a bad price.
  6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I got the book for free from a friend several years ago. I learned one piece from it and play it all the time for warming up. It was written for violin, and when I played the original for my wife (from a Bach CD we have) she said it was so fast that I'd never be able to play it on bass at full speed. I proved her wrong. Now when I can play it at full speed, I know I'm warmed up and ready to play.
  7. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Paging Dave Grossman...

Actually, if you must have Bach tabz, has quite a few, which I must confess I have used before in the past.