Bach Hymn (again)

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Garagiste, Dec 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Dropbox - Bach Hymn 12.29.20.mov - Simplify your life

Modified some fingerings from an earlier post. I’ve also started playing the piano parts on the bass and will record all three when I have them together and then do a split screen thing. Feedback welcome!

AGCurry likes this.
  2. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    For the most part, you're drawing a very nice sound. Tell us about the bass and the bow!

3. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks! I’ve been sort of fast tracking my arco technique to the exclusion of almost everything else since the lockdown. My jazz walking and soloing has suffered, but on the other hand, I know the bass much better now. It’s a 2011 Bjorn Stoll Milano Classic that I got from David Gage in 2012 at a steep discount because it arrived from Germany with a cracked neck (which they expertly repaired). Evah Pirrazi strings and a Dorfler bow.

4. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Well, you are obviously doing something right, because you're getting a good sound consistently. Intonation - as always! - is a little elusive in spots. The good and bad of video is that it shows whether you are "making it look easy." You'll know that you have arrived at mastery when you either look transported in ecstasy, or bored.;)

And I want your bow!

Garagiste likes this.
  5. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    The painters tape that’s keeping the rubber from peeling off gives it a kind of indie DIY vibe that I was going for.

AGCurry likes this.
  6. Dogfightgiggle

Dogfightgiggle

Mar 4, 2020
    You’re brave to post these. Sounds good. What jumped out right away was your bow hold which seems pretty rigid. Maybe try making an “OK sign” with your thumb and index. That will make it basically impossible to death grip the bow.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    AGCurry, Garagiste and Andy Mopley like this.
  7. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah I think I know what you mean. There should be more curl in my fingers so that they can extend as the frog moves back and forth in my palm. The way it is now my fingers are almost fully extended. The bow “hold” is an evolving and elusive process. Thanks for the feedback!

AGCurry likes this.
  8. Dogfightgiggle

Dogfightgiggle

Mar 4, 2020
    That’s the thing with the German bow, it’s so personal.

9. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    and the French is.. not? ;-)

10. Dogfightgiggle

Dogfightgiggle

Mar 4, 2020
    Haha, I just mean that French hold is basically one thing, but everybody has their own take on German. I think this is a part of the reason why U.S. public schools teach French.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021