BaCH short scale bass. I seem to talk about it a lot, so.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Qlanq, May 1, 2017.

1. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Here is a vid of me going through the motions with my first short scale.
    Have always found it a bit difficult to fret a low F and the octave at the same time.
    The reason is: my hands just cannot do it.
    Technique? Changed that a lot.
    Neck shape? Nope.
    Try a short scale? Ahh, that's lovely.

2. Hey Qlang, just started looking into the BaCH tele basses. Is the neck closer to a Fender Jazz or a P? Did you buy it from their online store or through a vendor?

Thanks!

Georios

3. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    The neck is closer to Jazz and very smooth to play.
    I got it from BachGuitars directly. My third one from them.
    TC Bass MJBS HB
    That's the I have.
    Most are sold out but they produce more as time goes on.

4. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Somewhere
    The first position is just way too far from your shoulder. To remedy this, make sure your bass is at a higher angle (hard to do with a bass that balances poorly), and then make sure you are bending your arm at the elbow so that it can lie flat in the first position.

Unless you do this, it is going to be uncomfortable to fret anything on two strings because you're forced to hold the bass like a baseball bat, the way you're holding it now. So, a position closer to an upright bass would help quite a lot.

Qlanq likes this.
  5. Qlang thanks a lot for the reply that helps a lot! They are a little bit hard to communicate with and that has been the main reason that I haven't purchased anything yet. Did you buy a hard case to ship it with? Also, regarding customs and fees if I may ask what was the total that was added to the original price?

Thanks again,
    Georgios

6. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Cheers InternetAlias, I realized after a while I had pulled a muscle in my upper arm and the gloves I had to use in work were affecting my fore and index fingers.
    All OK now and I'm to go back to 34" scale again.
    Good advice there, cheers.

7. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    They have a facebook page. Bach Music
    I'm in the UK. I think the shipping was about £20. No hard case, They pack their stuff pretty well.

8. TIMDETROIT

TIMDETROIT

Jul 19, 2011
    I know it's an ancient video...did you weigh it in kg? Thanx!

Qlanq likes this.
  9. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Just over 3kg. Very comfortable.
    I have 2 other Bach basses, not the same as the short-scale, a lot of difference in weight.
    A bit of a crap-shoot buying unplayed. But all 3 are good quality instruments.

10. TIMDETROIT

TIMDETROIT

Jul 19, 2011

11. TIMDETROIT

TIMDETROIT

Jul 19, 2011
    QlanQ, you're the first in months of attempts to offer a weight. I thank you. Now to get Bach to sell one and ship to USA. Did you buy direct from Czech?

12. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Yes, Tim. Bought direct from Bach.
    Came in one box, a sturdy box though.
    Don't know how it would be packaged to get to the States.

13. TIMDETROIT

TIMDETROIT

Jul 19, 2011
    Roman loathe to send across the pond. I offered to buy a hard shell case ($80!) to ease his worry. Haven't heard back. Thanx for keeping in touch!

14. That is a great looking bass.

I've been jones-ing for a short scale tele-body bass. I've looked at these but I'm hesitant to purchase and have shipped overseas. Anybody in the lower 48 done it through them? And if so what was your experience in dealing with them?

Qlanq likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021