1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bach Suite No.3 prelude scores!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Tzaroukas, Dec 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tzaroukas

Tzaroukas

Dec 11, 2015
    Greece
    Hi there. Can anyone share the scores from Bach suite No.3 prelude (transcribed for double bass)? I prefer this edition:

Thank you in advance!

Jason Hollar likes this.
  2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    If it's current, published copyright-ed music, you'll need to buy it.

You can look on IMSLP for what's in the public domain.

Cool bow hold in that video, and really amazing intonation.

-S-

Tzaroukas likes this.
  3. Tzaroukas

Tzaroukas

Dec 11, 2015
    Greece
    I have already bought a score for this suite but I don't like it (that's the edition peters). Many notes are missing and the most of them have been written in the key of C. I am asking for a pdf.

4. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I don't know what edition he's playing from - perhaps it's his own, and perhaps it's unpublished. That's the first thing you need to settle. If you're asking us for help in determining which edition he's playing from, that's one question.

The next issue is you obtaining a copy of that edition, and I repeat my earlier statement:

... if you wish to be legal (and, IMHO, moral) about how you obtain your music.

-S-

Tzaroukas likes this.
  5. Why not write out the transposition yourself? It is not hard and will really help you learn and memorize the piece. (And it's what Bach probably would do.)

DC Bass, Tzaroukas and lcpierce like this.
  6. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    He's playing it in G major with solo tuning so it sounds A major. Just find the cello music and read it in tenor clef.

robobass, DC Bass and bassmastan like this.
  7. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    He's playing what looks like is similar to the Peters/Sterling edition of suite 3 (except in solo tuning)... That's where I'd start... IMHO Suite 3 is the only suite from the Sterling that I would deem acceptable.

DC Bass likes this.
  8. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    What I find most interesting about this performance (Just revisiting) is that Rinat is not using his Albany bass, and the bow he is using is well... either a great copy of, or a violone bow!

9. benharrisfan

benharrisfan

Sep 27, 2009
    Yes, the bass is the Carcassi owned by the LSO. The bow was made by Roger Doe and it looks like a larger version of his viol bows. So it's not based on an existing bow, but sort of a fantasy of what an overhand baroque bow would look like.

bassmastan likes this.
  10. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Cool!

11. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    This is no "edition". Rinat Ibragimov is an artist who has studied the music and come up with his own interpretation. To suggest that he is playing the "Sterling Edition" or something is actually quite insulting. What is even more offensive is the message I get when I try to play the video in Germany: Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA. This is incredibly stupid, as the music was composed about three hundred years ago, and no copyright is in force. If you want to play anything from the Bach Cello suites, then just buy or borrow any cello version you can lay your hands on. It will have all the original notes. To play the 3rd Suite in "G", just pretend it's tenor clef. Feel free to experiment with your own transpositions, etc. You may find another key which works better for you. GEMA is a Mafia/Stasi/Gestapo organization which preys upon working musicians and is destroying art and creativity in Germany. They don't do physical torture, but they would if they could, and they are on board for almost anything up to that. It must be stopped.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  12. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I suggest you look into a good clean edition for cello. Barenriter has one that comes with 5 facsimiles of various manuscripts and a playing score free of any articulations, fingerings etc.
    Then you make your own choices, and read as if it is tenor clef (don't forget the f#!)

robobass likes this.