Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bach Variation No. 1 from the Goldberg Variations

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, May 15, 2004.

1. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    nice work. what did you record it on? and how many tracks? 2?

2. Thanks. It was 2 tracks. Recorded with Adobe Audition ( formerly, Syntrillium Cool Edit before they were pillaged by Adobe ) on a PC through an M-Audio Delta 44. I used a SansAmp BassDriver DI to go direct. It was recorded with my Hanewinckel 7-string Reactor.

[​IMG]

- Dave

3. This is really good work, Dave. I'm diggin' it.

You and Jean need to get together and come up with a classical CD. :D

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, very neat.

5. Thanks! We've briefly talked about doing some Bach duets. I haven't had the time to hang out let alone work on that sort of thing with him. His two-handed tapping Bach Invention is great. I hope my Variation inspires him to record it. His Mario Bros. is pretty sweet too. Those are usually a big hit at Rabbit shows. :cool:

Check out this guy: http://adam.fulara.com/ . He's amazing. He does a ton of Bach with two handed tapping. He does it on guitar though. Nobody's perfect. ;)

- Dave

6. Beautiful!
    Although I don't like your tone in the upper register....

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Great work !!!
    I´ve checked some of Fulara´s videos some months ago and his style is amazing. His expressions too :p

8. other than my computer speakers sucking, it sounds great.

9. Thanks. I'll do another mix just for sucky computer speakers. :D

- Dave

10. more people should do just that.

11. That's great! Not really a fan of classical music, but that little piece is really nice and well done. And I dig your tone.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sounds cool Dave, I don't know how you do it. I do like your tone in the upper registers; very articulate.

A classical duet with Jean would be amazing I think. NR is one of my favorite bands.

13. Thanks! I'd love to do something like that. There just isn't the time. I've been thinking about putting together a group of electric instrument players to do all Bach. I'd probably call it The Electric Bach Ensemble or something snooty like that. :) Maybe I'll put an ad out and see if I can find any other interested players. Time is the problem though. I have three bands that I play in now. ( up from zero 6 months ago :D )

I'm a huge NR fan myself. Check out some of my pics at http://www.chromatic-fantasy.com/ .

- Dave

14. Here's the final version of that recording. It's a completely different mix. Actually, the two voices are hard-panned left and right and there is no reverb in this one. That way you can listen to the voices separately if you wanted.

http://www.jsbach.net/bass/Bach-Variation_No_1_in_G_Major.mp3

This is the one that will hopefully appear on the sampler CD.

- Dave