Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bach

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Monkey-T, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Monkey-T

Monkey-T

Jan 24, 2001
    does anyone know where i can get some bass sheet music for bach (or classical music)
    its not like normal sheet music (with treble and bass) but only bass, its made for the bass guitar.

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    "J.S. Bach For Electric Bass" by Bob Gallway.
    Available at http://www.jazzbooks.com
    Carl Fisher, Inc. (music publishers) selected solos for double bass with piano accompaniment- a couple of Bach pieces-grade 3 of 5 on the difficulty scale.

3. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    *ring ring*

You can't go wrong with the cello suites. Very very playable on a 4-string, some of them even don't need to be transposed down. They're nifty.

*hang up*

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'll second that recommendation! I had the whole first suite worked up at one point, need to get that back out and start working with it again, great fun to play, they sound INCREDIBLE, and they're a wonderful exercise on top of it all. I played them "as written" for bass, meaning an octave below where it would sound on cello, and they sound wonderful. Helps to have an extended range bass, 5 or 6 string, to get the low D's and C's that will pop up.

5. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    If you really want to be a BG superstar, then learn what the DBers have used for years: the Simandl and Bille studies. If ya can finish them, you'll really have technical mastery over the bass.

Also, for "bassy" pieces of music, check out Chopin's Prelude in e-flat minor, #14. It's entirely in the lower registers, and in my opinion was made for the bass. If anybody is interested I could tab it.

6. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I am very interested in seeing Eflat prelude tabbed for bass! If you did that it would be fantastic! I am also interested in seeing some of the Cello suites tabbed for bass, the cello suite in Dmajor especially, where can I find these free of charge?

7. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
  8. MuNkEy

MuNkEy

Jul 4, 2000
    utica, ny
    i'm going with MD on this one...my teacher had me go through the entire J.S. Bach book...its great...and it teaches you alot of arpeggios

9. WHY tab it???? Why not use it as a perfect tool to learn proper notation. Why, oh why, do guitarists and bassists use tab? Do you see pianists, saxophonists, cellists, flautists, trumpet players, violinists or any other instrument using tab? Bach is a great tool for learning to read properly, as is the above-mentioned Simandl. Jeebus, it's no wonder that bassists are the uneducated clods of the music world. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say that I agree with Marty on this - while BB appears to be very "public-spirited" in volunteering to tab anything for people (the link doesn't work for me though - "connection refused"?) I think this is a strange exercise.

Personally, the only reason I would study Bach is to develop my playing and sight reading as Marty says - so I just can't see the point of looking at tab, this would be defeating the object of learning to read "properly" .

Are people going to go along to a concert and bring out their sheet of "tab" ? Or are they going to go along to their teacher, take out the tab and play the piece - in either case they will be laughed out of there!! ;)

So what is the point? If you want to play Bach, surely the only way to go is to be reading the standard notation, like any "classical" musician would?

11. If tab helps people work out what the notes are so they can play along with a song and eventually learn it and play it without the tab, isn't that a good thing for beginners?

It's all sound. Notes are just an abstracted approximation most of us find helpful in various ways. Don't get hung up on notes, dude :)

Sheet music has its advantages to some, but to some people could be a superfluous investment of time they could better spend learning new songs.

And it forces them to use their ears for the rhythm, at least, prepping them to work out songs completely by ear.

Sure, being able to read music is probably better than not being able to, and for some is indispensible, but is not going to benefit everyone.

I think there's sometimes a trace of the snobbishness surrounding this subject that ingnorant bass players sometimes display towards people who play with a pick. Different horses for different courses, anyone?

That said i don't use tab and I'm just about to learn to read music properly.

I also think if you're going to read the proper music to anything, surely classical Bach cello suites are it :)

Just my 2c, bu i think I'm being reasonable. Bach cello suites for bass sound like a GREAT idea too - i might use them to learn to read :D

PS that's an excellent quote, Bruce.

PPS i just reread the above posts, and they don't seem at all snobbish or deserving of criticism now, so I'm just going to disconnect and have a beer before i hurt anyone's feelings :) But i stand by what i said about tab.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Talk about contradicting yourself! The point is there's a big difference between picking up a few songs from tab and embarking on a study of Bach's Cello suites ! :rolleyes: Tab and serious study just don't go together or belong on the same sentence!