1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back After The Summer Break From My Students

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lowenduser, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Well, I've had the summer off from teaching... up to the usual catching up. Anyway, I was onto one of my student's father today to confirm that we'd be back this Sunday to lessons. and no problem. I was advised he got a new bass over the summer - cool. He's been on a music based course where he was the only bassist of five musicians (three guitarists and a drummer), which was good for me, as I was at the stage of telling him to start playing round with other musicians.

ANYWAY, I was told that he has developed an interest in funk. Specifically slap bass. Which is OK, but for one issue. I am not a huge slap bassist. It's just not a style I've had much reason practically to develop nor the interest to be honest. I've gone through everything with him from the very basics "this is a crochet" though progrock styles of music, but when it came to slap, I showed how the technique to playing it, but, I hadn't quite the Mark King technique layed down (to say the least).

In any case, it is "good enough" to teach a student enough to develop styles themselves without being strong in an area you, as an instructor, might not be strong in? Wheather it be funk, blues, rock, country or whatever, or should an instructor be totally proficient in all styles to performance level?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not to performance level maybe, but he should know all the mechanics of it and at least be able to demonstrate and troubleshoot.

Sounds like both of you need "Slap It!" by Tony Oppenheim. Best slap book in the world. www.slapit.com .

3. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    First of all, check this book out: http://www.jimstinnett.com/books.html#anchorbassworkout

It starts off VERY simple and progresses to some intense workouts. You will find yourself picking up the technique in no time.

Secondly, I would recommend as much playing time in the style as you can. Playing slap is a completely different way of playing the bass that has it's own history. You need to know when it is appropriate to slap and when there are times that it won't work. I have learned a lot through trial and error on the bandstand. I use my real life experience to educate my students.