Back and shoulders

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CAM, Mar 14, 2003.

1. CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    This will probably be moved by a moderator (but i wasnt sure where to put it :)

Has anyone else noticed over the years a difference in their left and right shoulders due to playing. My left shoulder is slightly larger than my right one, from having the strap on.

I went to a back doctor and found out that because of this i have a 3 degree bend in my spine!!!!!!! AAHHHHHHHH!!!! its not that bad thou. its fixable and should be gone in a years time but sheesh what a drama.

Just wondered if anybody else has experienced something like this.

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    That's the usual effect of strap on as i understand it ;)

sorry, couldnt help it.

anyway, no i dont think i have back trouble. what bas are you playing? How much does it weigh?
    JT on here plays some double necked monster that weighs about 150lbs or something, and i thought my 5 string p bass was heavy! :eek:
  3. CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    I actually dont know how much it was but porbably somewhere between 8-10 pounds, so not that heavy really
  4. My Five string is probably only 20 pounds.... My back is screwed up already tho.. I probably because of my bad posture have a 20 degree bend lol... :mad:
  5. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    i dont think my shoulders are de-arranged or anything cos i have 3 fairly light basses, yeah
  6. CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    A 20 degree bend!!!

Sheesh, and i thought i had it bad.

Do you get any kinda side effects from it, like tingling or pain etc?
  7. Don't worry I'm not a hunch back. I'm just joking I probably only have 3-4 degree ... My posture is always so horrible ... And I always have back pain pretty much.. And sleeping on an old uncomfortable couch makes it *so much better!:meh: *
  8. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    It's funny, I remember when I was in school my right shoulder was 'bent down' lower than my left due to carrying a heavy bookbag over that shoulder. Now that I've been playing bass for a few years, my left shoulder has 'bent down' from the strap, so I've basically evened myself out LOL.

But seriously, you really need to watch yourself and take care of your back and posture. Might I suggest taking up some yoga (I find myself saying that a lot on here anymore hehe)? It improves your posture and strengthens your back. I've had back problems long before I took up the bass so I make a great effort to do what I can to prevent injury and not worsen my ongoing problems. It was suggested to me on here once to buy the Slider Strap. I've since gotten one and I like it. This strap allows the weight of your bass to distribute evenly, hence balancing the weight evenly on your shoulders. I also have an Ameritech comfort strap. Now I've been told on here that these aren't as good as the Slider Straps, but I like it because it's padded and it doesn't dig into my shoulder like a regular strap does.