Back Door albums: Released this week!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Nov 17, 2000.

1. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've just checked out a couple of CD shopping websites, and have discovered that the first two Back Door albums will be re-released this Monday (20th November) Yippee! You Americans will finally be able to hear one of the most influential bassists ever. The CDs are mid-priced.

Colin Hodgkinson is one of my favourite bassists, but I am only familiar with his solo work, and am looking forward to hearing his phenomenal playing within a band context.

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    As much as you've gone on & on about these recordings...they better be good! ;)
  3. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Yeah, that's what I'm slightly afraid of: that my expectations are so I high I risk disappointment. Everything I've heard about these albums have generally been very good - I'm just going to put my expectations to one side and listen to them with an open mind.

I know I go on about Colin Hodgkinson all the time, but the man really is a phenomenonal bassist, and a very polite, helpful gentleman as well.

Once these albums are out and I get to hear them, I'll try to learn to talk about something else! ;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually I thought I said on a previous thread that I have 8th Street Nites on vinyl, but don't really like it that much. I used to play the solo bass tracks to other bassists to see their reaction; but I rarely played the album just to listen to. Basically, I didn't like the tone that Ron Asperey got an sax and his style was pretty atonal and abrasive - it made for a strange mix with Colin Hodgkinson's bass as the only other tuned instrument and with the muddy bottom-heavy P-bass sound, there always seemed to be something missing.

I do really like the solos bass and vocals pieces, but the band as a whole were pretty unlistenable IMO. Interesting from the point of biew of the strange, sparse lineup, and the bass playing, but not something that I wanted to listen to that often.
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I picked up both 'Back Door' and '8th Street Nites' this afternoon. Have had a chance to listen to both of them quickly before coming into university.

VERY different to what I expected, but just as good.

'Back Door' is probably the better of the two - a more cohesive sound (Ornette Coleman goes electric) and some very tight interplay between the three members. My major gripe is that some of the tracks are in the wrong order on the disc! 'Lieutenant Loose' and 'Catcote Rag' have swapped places, and I think 'Slivadiv' and 'Back Door' have done the same. This marrs what would be an otherwise excellent reissue. The liner notes are pretty well written (I'm not sure who they're by) and contain copies of reviews of the band from the NME and Melody Maker.

'8th Street Nites' is a slightly different kettle of fish. Recorded at Electric Lady Studios in NY, under Felix Pappalardi (Cream producer), it has a much more polished sound quality, but the tones of the sax and the bass don't really seem to gel as well as on the first album. In general, it's a less cohesive album than 'Back Door' - a bit of jazz, a bit of blues, a couple of solo bass pieces, etc - but it does have it's strong moments - 'It's Nice When It's Up' is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time - feels like I've always known it. A slight disappointment in Colin's version of '32-20 Blues' on this album - sounds as though he's rushing it, and some of the playing seems a tiny bit sloppy. I much prefer the version on his solo album.
    Overall, I say that both albums are worth buying, but you really need to get both if you want to hear the best of the band.

[Edited by David Benyahia on 11-20-2000 at 11:30 AM]
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Due to usual import price gouging here in the USA, I see these listed at CDNow for $18 each...ouch.
  7. Allo!

I am honoured to be a good friend of Colin's and he is one of the most incredible musicians ever - we live in the same town and I have on occasion, depped for him at a local jazz gig. He is a very modest guy and I think he is publishing a book on his playing style at some point in the near future!

Best Regards!

8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    For Christmas, I received a copy of a book called 'Bass Master Colin Hodgkinson'!

It contains transcriptions of seven tracks from his album 'The Bottom Line':

'32-20 Blues'
    'Blues for Jimmy Yancey'
    'The San Francisco Bay Blues'
    'Southpaw Rag'
    'The Sliding Delta'
    'Jenny's Rag'
    'Are You Sure?'

The book also contains a short biography/discography, and comes with a CD of the seven tracks taken from the album. For some reason, my CD included the track 'The Black Mirror' instead of 'Are You Sure?'. Strange!