1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back end string buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by B Sus, Mar 30, 2009.

1. B Sus

B Sus

Mar 24, 2009
    Angleton, TX
    Not entirely sure where to post this...

How does one combat the back end string buzz? I play a 7 string Conklin GT-7, and I've tried hair bands and wrist bands, but I still get the buzz on the middle strings.

I've seen Colin Marston of Behold The Arctopus use what looks like some sort of material that looks glued to the fret on his Warr as in this picture <br> l_1dc60baf2c76dd4bfbe9b7c86991a712.

Can anyone Identify what this is, or give me any suggestions?

2. (just a guess) It looks like some sort of material to keep the open strings from ringing, have no idea on what it is though.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it might be that grippy rubber mesh stuff they sell at bed, bath & beyond to put under things you don't want sliding around.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    What exactly do you mean by "back end string buzz?"

Are you talking about backbuzz, where the strings buzz behind where you are fretting (that is, up towards the headstock)?

If you are referring to back buzz there are a couple of ways to improve or eliminate the issue:

1) Many times backbuzz can be caused by a neck that is too flat. Adding a little relief to the neck (by loosening the truss rod slightly) will help this issue.

If you aren't familiar with truss rod adjustments I wouldn't recommend doing them on your own without doing a little research first though...

2) Your nut and/or nut slots could be too low, causing the portion of the string behind your fretted note to buzz against the frets. You can combat this by either shimming the entire nut, placing small bits of paper or business card under the buzzing strings, or replacing the entire nut with a new one.

If you are referring to something other than the "backbuzz" I've described, my apologies for the assumption...

Have you ever had the bass set up?

5. B Sus

B Sus

Mar 24, 2009
    Angleton, TX
    I myself have never had the bass set up. I got it about 3 weeks ago, from a guy who had owned it for about 7 years. I will be going to get it set up soon, as I have already broken a string.

Yes, that is what I was talking about. Thanks for he advice :)

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Not sure about Warr guitars, but I know that something similar, if not identical, comes standard on Chapman Sticks.

[​IMG]