Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back Excercises?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by invisiman, Aug 2, 2005.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I've been trying to get in better shape at home, but I'm finding that I don't know any back excercises that can be done at home. :help:

All I have at my disposal are some bumbells, and a curld bar. So, any ideas?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, there's the basic "superman-move" where you lie on stomach, extend your hands to front and then lift your arms and legs towards the ceiling at the same time, which is the opposite to sit-ups.

With weights, there's the upright row - not sure about the name though - where you bend your body 90 degrees so that you face the floor, and then pull the weight upwards so that your shoulderblades do the work.

3. Yeah back is one of the more difficult things to do at home without some machines or a bar to do pullups on. The bent over row is a good exercise for targeting lats and upper back, but pay special attention to making sure your lower back doesn't round out, keep it straight, your chest out and head up facing forward while bent at the waste (90 degrees isn't necessary) with a slight bend in the knees.

The Superman is lower back; actually to save both you and I some time, go to www.menshealth.com and look under fitness and back exercises.

Regardless of fancy techniques and machinary, one of the best things you can do for you back is the pull up, go the park and find a bar if necessary and pump out some sets... you'll feel it. Also don't neglect the deadlift, a must in any lifting routine.

4. that is actually a bent-over row. an upright row requires that you stand straight up and lift the weight towards your chin.

5. Upright rows as described below work your trapezius muscles - the arch shaped ones between your shoulders and neck. Be VERY careful as this is a move that must be well performed to ensure you don't injure yourself. A lot of trainers, myself included, don't recommend this exercise for beginners.

Another good exercise website is www.alwyncosgrove.com

I also highly recommend spending a little bit of money with a personal trainer who can assess your fitness and strength level and write a routine around your requirements.

Hope this helps

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ah, thanks for the correction. Didn't even remember the upright row.

7. cirwin

cirwin

May 2, 2005
    If you are trying to help your back, remember to work on your front as well. What supports the spine & vertebrae is the opposed pull of the back muscles and the abdominals. I second the suggestion that you consult a trainer or physical therapist to help you decide what you need to work on.

8. Correct. Its the same when people want to "get a 6-pack". Many people just do cruches endlessly, when in fact the entire body develops its strength from the "core" which is around your entire midsection.

What you are referring to specifically, Cirwin is called "isometric" training. Basically, it takes two muscle groups to perform one action. One to act and one to react. When you throw a punch, the shoulder pushes the arm forward and the back muscles pull the arm back. You need to train both muscle groups to perform the act.

Hope this is helping ;)

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    True. Actually, if you want to look healthy, start from legs up. In addition to abs and back, thighs and buttocks have quite an effect on your posture.

My current gym program, which aims on general fitness and appearance, is based on abs, back and torso rotators, eg. "the core". After that I start thinking of other muscles, and currently have shoulder press, bench press, pull-downs, leg press and thigh curls on the list (medium weight and reps, balanced execution), which I think makes up a quite a balanced if somewhat busy workout.

10. Sounds like either you know your stuff, or have good advice.

Another style of workout that gets a big thumbs down from me is this:

Day 1: Chest, Back
    Day 2: Arms, Shoulders,
    Day 3: Legs, Abs
    etc, etc.

In my philosophy, you shouldn't need to isolate muscle groups in this way. An isometric plan means you are doing a full-body routine each time without over straining any individual part.

Oh, and if you are one of those people who stand around the bench press in groups of five or six taking turns - stay outta my space cos I'll tell you what I think of you!!! :D

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    beer...

Take some weights... stand a bit more then slightly leaning forward... then put your hands back fastish with weights... stand like that for 3secs or so... then slowly put down the arms... do that again...

Do bench press but backwards... on stomach

12. Thanks Serg,

...in other news just in.... :D

13. Peter, your philosophy is a great one for those attempting to change their body for the better, especially beginners who see splits like the one you mentioned (opposing muscle groups) and have a tendency to overtrain. When I first started in the gym I would do so many sets and reps (using individual muscle group splits) that I would be sore for 3-4 days.

Not only is training like that unhealthy, but it actually negatively affects growth.

If you want stregnth you can use in the real world, whether athletically or at a job, or just to help you feel better, starting simple and building up the core (legs, abs, lower back) is the way to go. A balanced physique is the best kind, besides looking the best.

That being said I believe there is a place for isolation of muscle groups, but that's something that should be left for someone who has been working out for a while and understands not only exercise and diet, but their body and how it reacts to differing conditions.