Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back form SXSW

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Well fellow bottomdwellers, I'm back from playing the SXSW fest, and it was interesting, to say the least! Before I go into the the details, I wanna thank those who suggested that I go to Stubb's BBQ joint. Good Lord! We made pigs of ourselves! Damn good eatin'! When we got to Spiro's they had NO backiline, but they told us not to worry. Even though we wouldn't get a soundcheck, everything will fine. :eek: When we arrived at the venue later on, we went to check out the "backline". I wanted to cry! They had a VERY small Fender guitar practice amp that was slightly larger than a lunchbox, and a 50 watt Fender bass combo amp! :mad: :eek: By this time, I'm thinking the worst. Oh, BTW, did I mention that there were about 15 people there? So, we go to the dressing room and decide that we are going to do OUR show and play for each other, so at least WE'LL have fun. We head to the stage, and to our shock, about 200 people just seemed to appear out of nowhere! :) :eek: The wierdest thing we'd ever seen. We plug in and start to warm up, and the crowd starts cheering! The soundman even made us sound pretty good! It was a pretty good night. We found out that there were 2 booking agencies in the audience, and they were talking to our label reps during the show. We got offered to be on 3 tours for the summer! I'll find out all of the details next week. Overall, I had a great time in Austin, Tx.

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Stubb's...TOLD YOU!!:D

Sounds like your gig went great afterall...that's cool. tell us what comes out of the thing when you hear something...

how long did you get to actually play?

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    About 45 minutes. Great call on Stubb's.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cool man! Stubb's Backyard is also a great place to see bands. I wish I could have caught the Roots there last week.

That sucks about the backline. Hard to believe that's all they could pull together...then again I guess every club in the city was looking for decent backlines at the same time. Congrats on all that...sounds like it was a real nice vibe and I hope you hook up with a cool summer tour that doesn't draw only 13 year old skater bois.

brad cook

5. Okay, bumping this up because I finally have enough time to post, four days after I get back from SXSW...

Woodchuck, sounds like it was a fun gig, despite the first impression! Wish I could've made it down to Austin sooner to see it... I also looked around for your booth, but El Pus was nowhere to be found. Did I just miss you guys or what? Did you have anything set up in the convention center?

I'm living it up now with all the swag I picked up... haven't counted very carefully, but I think I've got about 50 free CDs, three shirts, a pack of Elixer strings (guitar, not bass, but still cool), a bag of microwave popcorn (?!?) and some other miscellaneous crap. I'll be ears-deep in new-to-me music for about the next three months :D

Our gig went pretty well too; we played 5th of 6 and pretty much filled up that tiny bar, or at least the part of it that was in view of the stage. Maybe a couple hundred people. I think we got the best crowd response of the night and the most buzz, mainly due to our unique status as a horn band... From what I hear, there were at least a few label guys there, most memorably two guys from Manchester that said we were "f***ing brilliant!" and wanted us to tour in Germany and England :eek: Who knows if that'll happen, but it sounds good to me! I also briefly enjoyed the company of a young lady who demanded I have my picture taken with her......while kissing her :eek: :cool: I could get used to this... but yea, Austin was a fun time. Didn't get to hit up Stubb's (we ended up stuffing ourselves at some BBQ place closer to the hotel...still good), but maybe next year. [hoping I get to come back next year!]