1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back from Iraq

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scottz0369, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greetings,
    I just got home from Iraq, and it's great to be home! I'm still in awe at how fast,reliable and easy to get to the internet is here in the states.

I had the opportunity to play the whole time I was over there in the chapel on my camp (out near the syrian border). Unfortunately, my acoustic bass I bought for the deployment (a Fender BG-31) got broke in the mail home. We'll see what the post office does about the claim, but my hopes aren't too high based on what I've heard. On the bright side, I found (yes, found) a Squier P-Bass in an abandoned shipping container over there--what are the odds of that, imagine my surprise-- and painted it in my battalion's colors, so it's not a total wash. I was even more excited when I read in this month's BP that Pino used one on the new Who album, so it can't be all that bad of a bass.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say that it's good to be back and able to access talkbass. It was blocked from our military system, so I was only able to access it a few times since Feb.

I look forward to rejoining the community!

Scott in 29 Palms, CA
    MSgt USMC
    3rd Light Armored Reconaissance Bn

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Welcome back, and thanks so much for your service!

Now hoist a cold one, plug in, and groove away! :bassist:

3. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Make love , not war.
    Great your back though ! Good luck with the playing man !

4. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    WELCOME BACK! +1 on thank you for your service. You should post a pic of that Squier P! :)

5. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Great to hear you got back safe and sound! Thank you for your service :bassist: Drag about the acoustic, but cool find on the Squire ..... Welcome home ..... :cool:

6. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Squier basses rock.

So do you. :)

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Welcome back, Scott! Thank you for your service.

Cheers,
    Kevin

8. Welcome back brother! Don't know you but I'm glad you are home OK and I would like to echo the other sentiments and say thank you so much for your service!

9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    EDITED: Forget it, I imagined of all the replies I was about to get and it's just not worth it. Those who would get it have already thought about it anyway.

10. Well, I read your post. My only comment would be I hope you understand that when people go into the military they do not pick their missions. Don't assume anything.

Welcome back Scott. I'm glad you're safe.

11. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yes, that's the kind of misunderstanding I was expecting. My comment was on how TB stays non-political "officially", yet certain political views are accepted and others are not. All posts in this thread will be left alone (thus approved) as long as the opposite view is not heard. If it does, then the thread will have become "political" all of a sudden and will most likely be closed. Oh well.

12. Oh, I agree with that part of your deleted post to an extent. Even the best moderation is subject to biases, no matter how well intentioned.

My point was referring to the first comment in your post.

13. Bartman said it better than I could. Thanks for your service.

14. Welcome back, and Ill just echo much of what has been said already; thank you so much for your service. :)

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Welcome Home MSGT and thank you for your service to our great Country. :)

16. Bass7755

Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Welcome home Scott! I'd like to thank you for your service too.
    Dan

17. You seem to be making it political. thanking a man for his service to his nation is not endorsing the policies of our elected officials - it's recognizing HIM for doing his job.

18. I agree with you completely (I've experienced this in the Bass forum), but, in this case, don't blame the soldier, they're just following orders. Blame the general. But welcome back Scott, glad you made it out of there intact.

19. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    welcome back scott!!! thanks for your service. Keep the groove going brother!

20. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Saying that it was a service is a political comment in my book. A plain "welcome back" would be just as suitable and with no political comments.
    XO-Bionic: I'm not blaming the soldier, I've no problem with the guy, actually in my edited post I had written something like "my comment is not oriented to you" or smth like that. It would be really low from my part to start blaming the guy after all he's been through, and I have no reason to believe that he wasn't sure that he's doing the right thing.

Edit: To make it more clear... imagine if an iraqi rebel came here and said "whew I just came back from trying to keep those americans away from my motherland" and I answered "Thank you so much for doing that!!". Imagine what would happen then. Of course, THAT would be political and this isn't huh. It would be exactly the same, just from the opposite side.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.