1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back from the audition...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by addylewis, May 11, 2006.

1. ...think it went ok...

...first "real" audition I've ever really been at - the manager was up from London and everything (which gave me a bit of a shock - never dealt with managers before!)

Anyway - they're trying out in a pub, the top bit of the pub (the "living above the shop" area) and I turn up and everywheres locked up, but I hear the band somewhere...

Then some guy said "You can get in round the back mate" - and I'm like "oh...ok..." follow him round the back amongst a load of lawnmowers and he shows me the fire escape...

"Up there kid...jump over the rails and I'll pass you your guitar"

and I'm like "errm...what?...er...ok I'll 'ave a go!"

He grabs the wheelie-bin and holds onto it whilst I stand on top and try to climb over the bannister...wasn't gonna happen.

So we walked further along and he moved a few lawnmowers out of the way and I go up THROUGH THE DOOR at the end of the fire-escape (good!)

I get up there...stick my head through the door...

"'Ello!"

Then I find theres drums/vox, a guitarist,and a manager whose come up from London.

...ooh...the big time, y'know...!

We have a chat...he asks me if I play anything else as well, and was happy to find out I can play some keyboards if they need it (which they may well do).

Then she asks "What shall we start with then?" (remembering its a female drummer)

and I'm like "this one" - guitarist chips in "I haven't learnt that one!" (JEEZ...!!!)

Anyway we try a couple of tracks...sounding good, manager wants to hear just bass and drums, not bad - thats how most of it was...as well as chatting about musical tastes and what I've been doing at college (note: COLLEGE not UNI...I've been told you can lose a gig if you tell them you've got a degree)

I was more relaxed than I think I've ever been at a band tryout...not sure why, ESPECIALLY with an agent there...

anyway, we then get to the last song...IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT KEY TO THE DEMO I GOT! (b*llocks! Ah well...I played something along to it without really messing up)

Said goodbye then they told me they'd be in touch within the next 2-3 weeks (cool) - I give them my card with all my info on it, then leave.

First proper audition - did I do it right do ya think?

2. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Not sure how proper an audition I'd consider that :) but it sounds like you did great. I wish you luck with the outcome.

Well, there was one thing that really made me cringe... it worked out okay in the end, but let me illustrate how it could have gone down.

Kid jumps up over the rails.

Guy takes off down the alley with Kid's bass.

By the time Kid gets back over the rails, Guy is long gone, never to be seen again. :p

Actually, just going into an alley with "some guy" could be dicey.

But it sounds like it all turned out for the best. Keep us posted!

'rick

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Sounds like you did pretty good. When all was done and said, did you stop in for pint downstairs? MMMMMMM... beer. I love English beer.

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    They might have done that intentionally to see how you dealt with that situation.

If they have an agent then they gotta have a website. Let us know what it is so we can check them out.

Good luck,