1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back from the dead. I'm looking for a practice combo.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Hello,

This will be my first post here in about 8 years. I played the bass hard from about 15 years old to 36, got burned out, moved on to some other hobbies, and I'm now getting the urge to play a little again after not touching an electric bass for ~5 years (I messed around on an upright some).

I sold all my amplification equipment when I hit the pause button but I did keep my basses (American Jazz Bass and Ernie Ball Stingray).

I'm looking for a practice combo amp that can kick a little butt when I want to "rock out". I have no plans to gig with it, but again, I do want something that has some power.

I'm hoping to stay around $500 but I could spend more (or less) if it made sense.

I did do a little research on here and came up with the following ones I am interested in.

Fender Rumble 200
    GK MB112-II
    Markbass Mini 121P
    Orange Amp Terror Bass 2x12 (wild card....not even sure if they make this anymore).

Any feedback or suggestions?

Also what are the best ways to find used bass gear nowadays (craigslist is not turning up much I am interested in)?

Thanks!

NoSlapForYou and alanloomis1980 like this.
  2. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Traynor SB112.

lbbc, srayb, bassliner50 and 7 others like this.
  3. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach, Wisconsin
    Rumble 500

MCF, Artman, bhendrix and 4 others like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    bassrique and Sid Fang like this.
  5. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Artman likes this.
  6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    All of those would have a somewhat different and distinct tone. What kind of music do you play?

7. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Yep, Traynor SB-112 punches above its weight and is right on budget.

8. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm biased, as a GK MB112ii owner, so I'll definitely recommend that one.
    But the other suggestions are all good too.

Check for headphones out, aux input (for connecting phone or mp3 player), ability or need to add extra power if you do end up in a room with a drummer, DI.

Honestly, there's so many decent rigs available these days you're spoilt for choice. Have fun!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    carsbybigd likes this.
  9. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Gk MB200 and a small speaker . I have a little Ampeg 210 with mine , but the nicest thing is the earphone jack and aux in so I can play a YouTube video on my tablet and play along without disturbing anybody .

RHA III likes this.
  10. ZonieBass

ZonieBass Send Lawyers, Guns and Money... Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I highly recommend the Ampeg BA210. 450 watts and very feature rich. Fit's right into your budget as well.

11. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Actually they sound very different .
    Rumble is a great bass amp with a thick tone and a little bit muddy .It is cheaper and have a very special sound.

GK mb ,is growlier with more high end and finger sound and senstive to get that overdrive sound you hear in rock bands.

my exp with Markbass was fun .High end sound ,very special and less high end like Gk and more control over your sound .

Never liked orange amps so never try them a lot ,heavy weight of them and their sound is not good match for me .

*Trace eliot is a good amp to look at .
    ashdown is another option too .

jackn1202, JRA and Jon McBass like this.
  12. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I would think with your experience and basis (lol) to go on, skip the practice amp stage.

You'd do well with something more capable since you probably already have tone preferences and right hand technique down.

Definitely +1 on aux in AND headphone out. If you go for a combo; make sure, IMO, it has a speaker output connection, just in case. Even better if that combo has a counterpart cab in its line. Good luck.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Rumble 200 would do nicely. There is a club for us Rumblers. It is a great source of info for you.
    Fender Rumble Club

Bolsyo, bhendrix and J-Mags like this.
  14. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I really run the full spectrum....bluegrass to electronica. The top three are probably bluegrass / folk, funk, and rock. I probably need a nice middle of the road option? :)

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  15. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    What kind of music are you playing? What kind of tone are you looking for? Clean? Dirty?

Joebone likes this.
  16. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks!

jchrisk1 likes this.
  17. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    I love my TC BG250 15" combo. It's loud enough for band practice and gigging small clubs/bars. It's really light and it sounds great to me.

bassrique likes this.
  18. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    ORANGE!

19. Ggaa

Ggaa

Nov 26, 2018
    Rumble.

20. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006