Back in a 3 piece, need pedal suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lildrgn, Apr 12, 2005.

1. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I just found out that a band I've been auditioning for wants me to play with them. The studio recordings are quite lush and full of guitar tracks, sometimes with electric 6, acoustic as well as some 12-string, all on the same song. Needless to say, in a live 3 piece setting, you lose a lot when the guitar is soloing.

Right now I run this: MM Sterling > Boss Tu-2 > Boss Chorus > DOD Compressor > SABBDI, with the overdrive cranked > Trace Elliot GP-12 > 4x10 TE cab and 1x15 mini-Ashdown cab

With that setup, I get a good fuzz going, but want to fatten it up even more. What do I need to get to have a nice, warm distortion? Would a Big Muff or an EBS Multi-Drive do the trick?
  2. I'd also look into an octaver, that helps thicken things up nicely as well.
    I really like my Marshall Guv'nor, it's the first OD/Distortion pedal I've actually liked after 3 months of trying out various things.
    You can never go wrong with a Muff though.
  3. You must get an Akai Unibass. Do a search to find out what they do, you'll find they're designed specifically for a bassist in a 3 piece band. Helps to fill out the sound when a guitar player solos.
  4. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I'm having a problem finding these Akai pedals. The Deep Impact and the Unibass.

Where are folks buying them?
  5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    FWIW...In my power trio I use two different OD's...I use the Boss Bass Distortion (yellow one..model escapes me) for when I need to have a basic grinding tone...I have a SansAmp which is set for a higher level than the Boss and a little dirtier.

The trick I have found is that when the guitar goes into solo mode...I get really busy and I activate either one, or both of the OD's and I click on an octave pedal I have..thing is, it's set an octave really retains the low end I already had but add's the octave up which is similar to that of the rythym guitar.

Works for me...and the pedal stomping is minimal.
  6. Akai Unibass and Deep Impact are both discontinued, so pretty much the only place you'll be able to find them are on ebay or any other used equipment dealer. There may not be any up right now, but I glance about once every couple weeks or so and there is usually at least one Deep Impact and one Unibass listed. Unfortunately since they are discontinued, these pedals are now going for sometimes twice as much as they were retailed at. So people who jumped on them early are lucky, the rest of us, lets hope you really need it. I've seen Deep Impacts go for 450 bucks on ebay, and they were like 150 back when they were being produced I believe. Unibass is usually a bit cheaper though, you should be able to find one for a couple hundred.
  7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I play in a 3-piece worship band for our Junior High Youth Group. The style is best described as "Jesus Punk".

On Tuesday evening, I started up my EHX Hot Tubes and got some sweet creamy crunch with nice harmonics going on. Reminded me a wee bit of my days w/ a Unibass..