1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back in Black (guitar bridge) Help!

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by MMStingRay, Dec 19, 2006.

1. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    I'm working up the AC/DC classic "Back in Black" but the guitar player and I are at odds over what I should be doing over the bridge.

Between the last two chorus's there's the guitar bridge where the guitar start alone then the drums come in. What is the bass playing at that point? guitar player thinks I should play the same riff as him, I think not.

Can anyone help a poor eared bass player?

2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I don't know what the guitar does there, but the bass is E on the 4th string then a walkup of some type on the 4,5,6,7 frets. I'd have to play it to remember exactly.

3. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    upon thinking about it, after hitting open E I think it is

4 0 5 5 6 6 7

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It's not totally clear in the recording, but I've always thought that Cliff doubles the guitar riff and the short glimpse in this video seems to confirm it. Anyway, here's what I've always played (and I really like it. It's the song's climax to me :bassist: ):

[​IMG]

And with that fingering, it's a cool exercise for the "one finger per fret" technique, BTW.

5. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Thanks guys!

I was doing some fishing around and looks like a variation on the verse riff is the trend (which you pointed out).

There’s a tab out there saying to play the 3rd when the guitar goes to A (think I’m going to give it a try, shouldn’t be hard to tell if it’s wrong)

This song is harder then I thought when I first listened to it.
    :bassist:

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's right. The bass plays E, then D and then C#.

7. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    I knew something sounded wrong when the band was here but I never thing of trying the 3rd.

The bridge I've got down to 00, 7,4,7,5,7,6,77

Now I'm looking for the climb at the end of the first solo. The bass seems to follow the guitar on the last 4 (or so) notes.