1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back in it- Acoustic Amps??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wivern, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Wivern

Wivern

Mar 5, 2013
    Greetings,

My drummer from my high school band called me about 2 weeks ago, to reform a band. The last time I played was in the early 90's while in college.

So, I have been out of the scene for sometime. I am looking at an Acoustic Amp, 100 watt, 1x15.

Back in HS and College, I played a Rickenbacker 4001, Ibanez double neck and Peavey bass through an Acoustic 300 watt head and a Sunn 2x18 cabinet. I dont want to haul anything that big around again regardless.

All I have left is my Rickenbacker, and I am looking to keep the amp in the $300 range....for now. If I decide to upgrade later if I still have the buzz from playing, I'll do so.

So, what is the consensus on Acoustic? Are they (still) good? Anything else that I MUST consider? How about online vendors? I live in the boonies and will have to do most of my purchases online, as the nearest stores (which are still 20-30 miles away) all have off brands and entry level stuff.

Thanks in advance.

2. Current "Acoustic" stuff is entry level and is a house brand for Bain Capital (Guitar Center, Musician's Friend ect.). They only "look" like the old Acoustic Control Corporation.

That said they sound okay but are on the heavy side due to use of things like MDF.

Good entry level gear can be found on the less expensive side from G-K, Carvin, Ampeg, Peavey or Hartke as an example with better build quality.

3. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Supporting Member

May 25, 2012
    In the Pond
    They're OK. I've played bass since 1970. I currently play an Acoustic 260 mini stack, and love the tone, volume, size and weight. The Acoustic bass amps are a great value if you don't have to make ears bleed.
    I had tried the B100, and the B200 in the store with a Hofner bass. Both sounded very good. Actually I was shocked at how good they sounded - especially for the money.
    If you have the experience to judge by your ears, and not a label/logo, you might find that they fit your needs. I chose the one that best suited mine, and it's working out very well - better than anticipated. Previously, I had owned Ampeg B-15s and an SWR 15 combo.

4. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    the general consensus you'll find here is probably that the vintage stuff is still good, while the newly re-introduced line is basically the Guitar Center brand and is cheap Chinese crap.

however...for the price it's hard to beat. i've played through one of the new 115 combo Acoustics and it sounded just fine to me. in fact, i'm gonna steal my nephews and use it as a back up amp, or for smaller gigs i don't want to lug the SVT to. sansamp bass drive DI, of course.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The only decent feature is the price. Hold out for bette of go used...

6. I wouldn't go that far. In-expensive build, yes. Deceptive marketing, VERY much so. **** though, I would go that far.

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    There is a guy/company making more faithful/actually good Acoustic stuff, they are expensive toys though, the ones Flea used for a brief time.

Edit: when I say 'actually good', I actually have no idea if they are any good, I tried to get some supporting info from the guy but all he would give me is stories of how much various guys who played into multiple Marshall stacks in the 80s liked them when they tried them, which I took to mean people with barely any hearing left like them.

8. Yes, Acoustic USA.

9. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Don't let the budget price scare you. They aren't bad. Top of the line, no. Fairly reliable and easy to get usable tones out of-definitely.

10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1

i GOT THE b200 Used(115 COMBO) JUST TO KEEP IN PRACTICE SPACE.(oops caps)

Anyway, Ive told the story 679 times...

The b200 was hands down the best sounding combo at GC for less than $700 US dollars.
    Guess what?..
    It still sounds good.
    Ive gigged with it twice (just to see ;) ) and it sounded good... ya know, like the sound of a bass ghuitar...amplified. (Usually use my GB shuttlle and epifani 112 X2)
    BUT Im not too good for acoustic either. ;)
    Its never given me trouble..
    It has PLENTY of balls for what I need (5 string and I favor the lows )

Best bang for buck IMO.

NOW, mine is the MK1 version, I cannot comment on this newer MKII series other than to try out some basses at the local GC.
    (I try out basses thru several amps, but also always plug in to an acoustic too, as I find that with all knobs in the middle-ish ...it does not color the tone of your bass much..just makes it louder...which is good.)

In closing.. I think they are just fine for what you need..but id buy used and get the B200, not the B100. If people have reliability problems..I couldnt tell ya. BUT sound/quality/value.. cant beat it.

This is my opinion based on my experience with the product.
    Just put a piece of tape over the front where it says "acoustic", that way you wont get beat up around here.
    :bag:

11. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I had the B115 sealed cab for a couple years. (I bought it when they were first introduced, I don't know if there have been any changes) It sounded good. It actually has a nice high end sparkle with the tweeter turned off. good mids, good low mids. low lows were pretty loose, though.

but didn't have what it took to play with a 3 piece at practice volume. It farted with a 4 string and just didn't have any authority with the other instruments.

It made a great bedroom/practice amp. It would probably sound great recorded. But In my opinion, its not to be used live.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    "Acoustic" is now a house brand from Guitar Center
    In the history of things, not all house brands are bad or inferior, for example K-Mart, Sears has a house brand of "Craftsman tools", and Craftsman are very good value.