Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back in the Cirrus Club!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Mar 5, 2003.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    After a six month hiatis, I am back in the club with this beauty. Nobody wanted me to sell my old one, but I got ansy to clear the decks. This is the top-of-the-line Tiger Eye model with Hipshot tuners and bridge, walnut knobs (wish they were gold), ebony board, headstock overlay, and upgraded preamp, plus the top flight workmanship that goes into these. This is a significant bass for the price. Bought used but essentially unused. Took advantage of a failed ebay transaction. More photos on web site. Click below. :D

[​IMG]

2. Very Nice! I have a Carvin XB75P with quilted maple top and antique brown stain, gold hardware, etc. that looks similar. I love that look. Nice score!

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That bass is way too nice looking.

I suggest some brown spray primer and a Bass Pro Shop sicker :)

4. mmm... I played a cirrus 5 quiltop last weekend and loved it...

Personally I thought the wooden knobs were georgeous...

It seems to me that people that own these basses view them as "the best"

Im jelous.... nice score.

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am going to take poll on the knobs (ask wife). They really don't bother me, and you can't get the cost of upgrades out at resale--if that were to occur in the future.;) ;)

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I just saw a six-string one of those. Beautiful! The walnut knobs looked nice in person.

There was also a walnut-top five, where the walnut had an intense flame to it. I thought it looked at least as good as the tiger eye!

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The main reason I held out for a Tiger Eye was for the upgraded preamp. Just a touch of the concentric sweepable mid knob gives you a major tweak in tone. This bass seems to have a lot more power than my old bubinga model. Also, this comes standard with Hipshot tuners, which are by far better than the standard issue on the regular Cirrus basses (only weakness in my opinion).

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks sweet, Rick.:D What do you think of it so far?

If you decide to sell it, PM me first!:)

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have rehearsed with it and it sounded and felt good. As you know first hand, there is a lot of value crammed into this bass. I have noted your interest and will give you first right of refusal--if that day comes.;)

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Very nice, Rick. I owned a Cirrus 6 for awhile and loved it except for the 6th string. I still enetertain buying a Cirrus 5 everyday, just have to take the plunge.

Great basses, great price, great tones.

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Nice bass!
    Does this mean you're going to have a new avatar?

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Nice bass Rick! That the best looking top that I've seen on a Cirrus.:)

13. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I know these sell for a pretty penny new, but even at that price, pound for pound, this has got to be considered one of the best basses on the market. But it won't be, because it is a Peavey. Where else can you get a five-piece neck with purple heart stringers? The most ornate birdseye I've every seen? Matching headstock and I guess AAAA quilted top? Rock solid neck in tune to two octaves, basically from the factory? Walnut knobs and covers? Hipshot Ultralite tuners and bridge? Ebony board? Neck through? Flawless workmanship? And a "C" inlay to boot? This is not to mention the underated dynamically sensitive pickups with pretty limitless tweaking available on board with the 3-way with sweepable mids. I was just sitting here looking at it and wondering, should I be kicking myself for not getting the Sadowsky or the Elrick, or should I be congratulating myself for this new acquisition and the fact I get to keep $800 in my check book?:meh: :D

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So, are you done Rick, or are you still looking for a fretless?

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Jeff, I am still in the hunt for a fretless, but which one I do not know. I am at a point where I would be crazy to unload either of my two basses, because they are both players as well as investments. I am going to target a Tiger Eye 5 or 6 fretless if one exists, or a lined Mod or Zon. My ideal setup always includes a fretless. I played the Cirrus this Sunday and the sound and the looks got rave reviews.

16. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Thats a really hot bass...I'm looking at the same thing 4strings not 5. That finish is AWESOME.