1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back in the P-Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emor, Aug 28, 2005.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Mid 80's Korean Squier Jazz (Fender 850 flats: .055 .071 .088 .104)
    New! :hyper: Fender American Vintage 57RI Precision (Fender 9050M flats: .055 .070 .090 .105)
    1988 MIJ Fender Jazz Special fretless (Fender 9120M nylon tapewound: .058 .072 .092 .110)
    Mesa WalkAbout Scout (w/15")

I picked up the 57RI yesterday. My first Precision since my other one was stolen in 1980. I took it directly to a Saturday afternoon blues jam that I frequent, but had to wait about an hour and a half for my turn. :eyebrow:
    The new 9050 flats are really twangy when I play by myself, (which I had anticipated, but still find a little annoying); but when I plugged in and played with a group, it sounded great--very smooth, fat, creamy. I played through a Peavey combo w/15 speaker. I am looking forward to playing through the Mesa with a group, although I'm sure it will take some time to dial in just the right sound, like it did with the Jazzes.
    The neck is 1 3/4" at the nut-- a noticeable difference from the Jazz necks, but I had no trouble making the adjustment--felt kind of like playing a four-string on a five-string neck. (A little twinge in my left forearm told me that I was doing something different).
    When I started looking for a new P-Bass, I was looking at rosewood FBs--really had my eye on the 62RI. But something about this one just really called out to me. My other Precision had a maple FB, so maybe part of it is nostalgia. I am also digging the 2-tone burst with the gold anodized PG--classic, but distinctive.

Attached Files: