Back in the P-Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emor, Aug 28, 2005.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
    Mid 80's Korean Squier Jazz (Fender 850 flats: .055 .071 .088 .104)
    New! :hyper: Fender American Vintage 57RI Precision (Fender 9050M flats: .055 .070 .090 .105)
    1988 MIJ Fender Jazz Special fretless (Fender 9120M nylon tapewound: .058 .072 .092 .110)
    Mesa WalkAbout Scout (w/15")

I picked up the 57RI yesterday. My first Precision since my other one was stolen in 1980. I took it directly to a Saturday afternoon blues jam that I frequent, but had to wait about an hour and a half for my turn. :eyebrow:
    The new 9050 flats are really twangy when I play by myself, (which I had anticipated, but still find a little annoying); but when I plugged in and played with a group, it sounded great--very smooth, fat, creamy. I played through a Peavey combo w/15 speaker. I am looking forward to playing through the Mesa with a group, although I'm sure it will take some time to dial in just the right sound, like it did with the Jazzes.
    The neck is 1 3/4" at the nut-- a noticeable difference from the Jazz necks, but I had no trouble making the adjustment--felt kind of like playing a four-string on a five-string neck. (A little twinge in my left forearm told me that I was doing something different).
    When I started looking for a new P-Bass, I was looking at rosewood FBs--really had my eye on the 62RI. But something about this one just really called out to me. My other Precision had a maple FB, so maybe part of it is nostalgia. I am also digging the 2-tone burst with the gold anodized PG--classic, but distinctive.

Attached Files: