1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back in the saddle...covers again.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully, Mar 18, 2013.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    So after 4 years of playing only originals with a few covers I just did two gigs the last two weekends playing covers with a few originals.
    To a few here who labeled me as an originals fan boy it might come as a shock :p

Overall it has gone pretty well, country ,classic rock and a few oldies. The people dig them and seeing dancing again makes it all worth it along with decent pay. I will say the songs or some of them leave me flat but it is what it is.

I found originals to be more creative and we were always tweaking them as for the covers its what the BL wants, his way and played the way he likes them even if sometimes they are not played like the originals song was.
    Oh well thought I would throw this out..I'm back baby!

2. Congrats!!!

I am in the same position as you, doing many of the same songs.

Just draw the line at Don Williams' "Tulsa Time". Wish I did. :D

3. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    blue, is that you?!

:p

4. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    :D HA! Good one! Thanks for the laugh this morning....I needed that.

5. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ugh..Tulsa time...great song not fun to play the same roots thru the whole song thou. It is kinda like GLORIA...one we do forever in my band :rolleyes:

We cover mostly older country that I love but so songs like 5 o'clock somewhere, Southern voice, How the country boys roll, Pound sign...easy songs and fun to play.

6. The newer stuff is mostly rock music and rock chord progressions.

Quick tip, and this helped me a lot;

Check out the tablature section here on TB. Jeepin'Jer1 has put up quite a few of his tabs for a lot of current country stuff. Now, his tabs ARE tabs...like, real ones. I've used a couple to help myself out in places I was stuck, like on Dierks Bentley's "Am I The Only One".

We recently dropped Luckenback, Texas out of our song list because our singer complained so much about it. He always referred to it as "Suckenback, Texas". Too bad, I actually kinda liked playing that one and kinda liked the song.

7. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yeah I have seen his tabs. I am a what is the key and chords type of guy as well as listening to the song. We do songs like Silver Wings ,Can't help falling in love, Polk Sald Annie fun stuff that keeps them dancing fast and slow all night.... that is the ticket.

8. Ha ha....it sounds like we could sub for each other most anytime....

Good Hearted Woman, Silver Wings, On The Road Again, All My Exes Live In Texas, Can't Help Falling In Love With You, Tiger By The Tail, Mama Tried, Workin' Man Blues, the list goes on and on.

9. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    :p Yes sir..but the gas $ to get to the gigs would cost more than we make..I'm in Ohio :D but then again I play for the love of music not money so you never know.