1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back in the saddle, finally!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by flyingfinbar, Nov 7, 2018.

1. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    It’s been a few years...I’ve done fill-ins here and there, the ocassional reunion of a band that played in back in the day, but it’s been a few years since I’ve been involved in an original band with intentions of playing out...and it’s looking good!

A friend who performs at practically every local punk rock show dropped my name to a couple of his friends, a guitar player and a drummer, who were putting a project together. They reached out, we met up for a tentative jam, and it clicked like we were old friends/bandmates!

It turns out that they’re former members of a fairly influential hardcore band that I loved circa ~2000, so I was pretty psyched for the opportunity, and the fact that it was tight and nasty was the icing on the cake.

It’s been tough...I’m in my mid 30’s, I own a house and have a career, so that puts me out of the market for a lot of original bands that are looking to “make it,” but I’m also not too into the cover/tribute band thing (no judgment unto those that are). I grew up playing original music, toured for a few years, then got back together with a band I grew up with. Things were great, and our drummer, a lifelong, dear friend, overdosed and died, which really put me in a hole. I got pretty down. Don’t get me wrong, life has been good, but the lack of music creation, and the memories of my old friend was a serious bummer.

But things are looking up! These dudes are in my “age and responsibility” bracket, are looking to play the same music that I am, and are in it just to have fun, write some fast and heavy tunes, and play some shows here and there. I’m psyched!

For the first rehearsal, I brought out my ‘62 AVRI jazz through a DG B7K into my old school SWR Workingman’s 15 combo...gonna be moving my SWR 6x10/SVT IIPro in this weekend, though...

Just wanted to share my excitement, carry on!

Mr_Moo, Torrente Cro, Seanto and 4 others like this.
  2. Mid 30's !! Dude that was then age I started playing bass ! Have fun!

Mr_Moo, G-Z and flyingfinbar like this.
  3. That’s great! Congrats on getting back into it.
    Being a bit older allows you to have some perspective and hopefully avoid band drama.

flyingfinbar likes this.
  4. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    Thanks, @pappabass!

@Engle, avoiding drama is my MO, at this point. For a bit I was filling in for a friend’s band, more of a jazzy hip hop thing. They were in their early 20’s and full of piss and vinegar. Everything was about “making it,” and they mishandled the ball on so many occasions. It was an interesting perspective to have been a bit older and completely objective, as I wasn’t really a member to begin with, seeing the drama unfolding, and yet staying out of it because I had nothing to do with it. I learned a lot from that experience.

Thanks for the kind words, fellas:)

Engle likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Welcome home...

flyingfinbar likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:hyper:

good luck with your new project! :thumbsup:

flyingfinbar likes this.
  7. donkeygrl

donkeygrl Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013