Back in The Saddle

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I had my first gig with my new band last night. After two weeks of practicing and learning about 50 songs, I got up on stage with my new bandmates and we rocked the house.

It was good to be up there playing again. I was pretty nervous about playing after so much time off and only having two weeks to learn so many songs...but the night went great.

Normally I don't get nervous before a gig. Excited yes, but never really nervous. But last night I was on "information overload" from all the practicing and I was nervous about forgetting half of what I learned.

There were only about 4 or 5 songs that I really messed up on and I covered the mistakes fairly well. One in particular, I muted the strings with the heel of my hand and played more of a percussive sound rather than actual notes until I found my way again.

We even pulled off some request songs none of us had rehearsed together, or in some cases, none of us ever played before, either as individuals or as a band.

It was a good night and I'm glad to have gotten through my first gig as a new member without too many mistakes. It was way more fun than I imagined it would be for my first night out playing in awhile.
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Based on your post, you are well on your way to being part of a good band. Requests work the crowd something unreal, but I am sure you saw that last nite(if not before).

Good on ya!

3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    This band is great at working the crowd. We are a classic rock'n'roll cover band, doing songs from 70's-today. We also play weddings and corporate events, so we do country, polkas, etc.

We had done a few country songs and a guy yelled out to play rock'n' we did "Rock'n'Roll by Led Zeppelin. someone wanted us to sing happy birthday to her. So we did "Happy Birthday" by the Beatles. none of us had ever played it before, and though it's an easy song, it was as if we rehearsed it.

We'll play anything...we just want to entertain the crowd. I used to play in bands that thought they were "above" some kinds music...but we just play anything and enjoy the heck out of it, whatever songs they are. Prior to joining this band I had some reservations because I was still of the mindset that some of the tunes were "beneath me". I couldn't have been more wrong. I enjoyed playing all of them...mostly because the crowd liked them and they were responsive to us playing them.

Very cool gig...can't wait for the next one, next Saturday.
  4. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i love playing requests.
  5. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I hear that!
  6. Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    "...played more of a percussive sound rather than actual notes until I found my way again."

LOL! Been there!

Sounds like a great venue, and a good band with the right attitude about pleasing the crowd.
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I really busted my butt learning all their songs. It wasn't that I hadn't learned them well, just trying to remember it all was the hard part.

Just too much information in too short a period of time. Funny thing was, my mistakes and lapses of memory occurred on the songs I least expected to have trouble with, and the ones I thought I'd have difficulties remembering parts came off great.

It didn't help that we were playing in a very boomy room and the "A" note was particularly troublesome. We tried EQ'ing, we used compression...and I muted that note and played it as lightly as possible but it just jumped out anyway. I didn't really have any problems hearing myself or the rest of the band, but it didn't really need any additional worries either.

I've played in bands for so long and I've come across just about every scenario one could, yet despite my preparedness, I felt nervous. Which is very weird because I've never felt nervous before a gig. I'm usually pumped up and very excited before a gig but it's more anxiousness than nerves.

Then again I've never had to learn an entire night's worth of songs in less than two weeks either.

All in all, it came off pretty good. The band told me it's the best they've sounded in a long time. The other bass players they've had in the past were converted guitarists and they never really understood playing in the pocket and being tight within the rhythm section.

They are so much fun to play with and to hang out with. This is a great gig with a very popular cover band. I've got a gig this coming weekend at a place I've played many times before with other bands, so I'm really jazzed about this one, now that I got one gig under my belt with them.