Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back In The USA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boss Bass, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Boss Bass

Boss Bass

Apr 9, 2003
    Third Rock
    I've been out of the country for just over eight years. Been back for just two weeks. I was in the UK(London) for a year, and in the Netherlands(Amsterdam) for just over seven years. I recorded, toured, gigged and jammed as hard as I could. Even managed to put out a solo CD.Taught electric bass at an International school as well. But I'm starting to age a bit, was even told by a couple of bands that I was too old to be with them. I'm in NY(not the City) as I type this. Should I try to be with anyone's group anymore? Or should I begin to look for a "day job" in a very youth-oriented United States of America?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    First off, welcome back. :)

Second, play any gig you want. I really never understood the whole age thing with bands. Good music is good music. My funk/jazz group ranges from early forties, to early thirties, to 23 (me.) Just keep searching for gigs, you will eventually find one open-minded enough not to let age determine your acceptance. Or, you can always try to form your own.

3. Look at it like this: when the Police formed, Sting was 22 or 23, Stew Copeland was 28 or 29, and Andy Summers was at least 35. That didn't stop them from becoming a major success.

One of the great things about jazz is that nobody gives a rat's ass about your age as long as you can play.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Sorry Mr. Roach, you are too old to play this gig. :eek: :)

5. "Hunh...says here on this list that you're 78, Mr. Haynes. Well, Mr. Redman here is 30, and by the Laws of Jazz you're not allowed to play with someone as old as your grandpappy, so one of you is gonna have to go."

Man, I'm glad jazz isn't retarded like that.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there. welcome to talkbass, and welcome back to the u.s. :)

this is better served in miscellaneous, so i'll move it there presently.

7. peter..im guessing you play jazz ^_^ what kinda bass do you have (pics pics)

8. I try to play jazz and generally suck at it, so I stick to funk. Some day, I'll get better.

Pics of my basses are available at http://www.fbbcustom.com . I own #1046-01 and #028-00.

9. Boss Bass

Boss Bass

Apr 9, 2003
    Third Rock
    Thanks for the responses- there is hope for us older players. I must keep in mind that Al McKibbon has been playing the bass for more than 60 years, and the late Milt Hinton played at least that long as well. The late pianist Eubie Blake was still hittin' hard well into his 90's and really turning heads with his "stride" technique. I'm going foward...

10. Welcome back to the States. Amsterdam is a trip, ain't it?...

I feel old @ 32....