1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back injury at work, doctor tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jp58, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    So, last night, I hurt my back at work. Since I wasn't bleeding out, and only the ER is open at night, I put in a claim with my manager and took the rest of the night off. I spent some of today with our HR lady, and we got me an appointment with an MD a few miles outside of town.

I'm hoping that I get to the doctor's office and get told it's nothing but a pulled muscle or a strain and I can get back to work after a few days rest or light duty, but I'm worried it's going to be worse news than that. I've got a slight case of scoliosis, and I'm a bit overweight, and I know I'm going to get it from the doc tomorrow. Plus I know he's going to be a tool, being a worker's comp doctor and me having a back injury. I'm also worried he may way to dope me up (I know he probably won't, but still).

Anyways, anyone been down the back injury road before? What should I expect from the worker's comp doc? If it is something a little more serious, would I be better off asking to see a second DR or a chiropractor?

2. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

You can't ever beat a second opinion.

Twenty-one years ago I fell down a flight of stairs holding my youngest daughter and landed square on my backside. I broke my tailbone and had what they called a compression fracture of four vertebrae in my lower spine. ER doctor sent me to my regular doctor who recommended a chiropractor. I had a bad feeling about that chain, so I asked for another referral from the ER doctor and got hooked up with a really awesome orthopaedic doctor who specialized in sports medicine. He put me on an exercise therapy program (special stuff for the back and core) and it's helped me avoid having surgery to fuse my spine in that area. Yeah - I have to deal with pain when the weather changes, but it's way better than some of the alternatives.

3. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I injured my back many years ago at age 22 at my warehouse job. Hobbled into the boss' office and was sent home for the day. Woke up the next morning and could barely stand, let alone walk.

Company insurance policy mandated a visit to the ER and the attending physician had me lay down for some xrays. 1st thing he suggested was surgery. :eek: I asked for and got some prescription painkillers and went to a chiropractor for a 2nd opinion. She read my form and took xrays of me standing and informed me the previous set was useless. Turned out I'd popped a lower lumbar vertebrae out of whack. A combination of rest, stretching exercises, and 6 weeks of treatment and I was back to work.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you're doing.

4. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I have a compression fracture in teh T11 and possibly the T10 vertebra in my back. I go for a second set of xrays and an MRI on Monday. Until then, I'm supposed to be a couch potato. I'm not really sure what to think at this point.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Always good to get a second medical opinion. Fractures are not the domain of chiropractors. Be a couch potato for now. Most likely you'll be prescribed rest and PT.
    Good luck in your healing.

6. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    So, after the MRI's and a second set of x-rays, I have a bulging disk and a compression fracture in my T11. The doctor basically told me that he didn't want to do anything to fix it because I don't have any loss of motion or numbness. He recommended at least 4 more weeks of light/restricted duty at work and that I take the semester off, because being on my feet in labs for 4-8 hours a day starting on Monday is pretty aggressive, especially considering that I'm still in pain.

I'm strongly considering asking to see a second doctor, if for nothing else but to confirm what I've been told. The doctor I was sent to has actually been very nice to me and really kept the screws on the claims company to help me get my MRI's and x-rays.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I wonder if strength training can help alleviate some of the pain? Sorry to hear about your struggles bro. Have you tried icy-hot or those heat pads?

-Mike

8. dont stuff around with a fracture....get a second opinion before you do any work at all, even sitting up all day might stress it

9. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Yeah, a few people around here have pm'ed me about physical therapy or strength training. I may see if work will let me go that route.

I'm definitely not messing around with it. I've already emailed the school and let them know what's going on.