Back muscles necessary for the Trace using Bassist?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Microbass, May 11, 2005.

1. I hope to be working out again pretty soon, and hopefully joining a gym. I've felt my back being a little strained after a gig where I've got a fair share of gear to move. So I looked up some exercises to build the back muscles (lat-something :p).

However, is this really necessary for me? My equipment isnt exactly light (a soon to be trace elliot stack ;)).

I almost always lift with my knees, keeping my back straight, and do as little bending as possible in the back area.
    Would it be wise, or a waste of time to build up my back by doing extra excerises outside moving equipment?

2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    In a word, YES.

I had a Trace Elliot 4-10 combo that I used to stack on a Trace
    1-15 and it was HEAVY.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    General weight lifting, stretching, cardiovascular exercise, and good nutrition are just good ideas regardless of your reasons.

Check out Arnold Schwarzenegger's "The Modern Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding" if you're serious about weight lifting.

Exercises for the back should include exercises to widen the lats (pullups/machine pulldowns), lower back (hyperextensions), middle back (seated rows, machine rows), and a good mass developer like deadlifts and barbell rows.

Proper form, nutrition, and stretching are essential. Consult resources like Arnold's book or the magazine "Muscle and Fitness" if you're not familiar with these. Further, it is unwise to "spot" train. Weight training should be a curriculum that involves the entire body, not just one muscle group.

Becoming stronger and having good flexibility will decrease your chances of injury. Back injuries are not fun.

Further, as musicians, especially playing shows, we demand a lot of our bodies. Find a good therapeutic masseuse, and spend the money on a massage, at least once a month.
  4. If you want an all around good, strong back that will definately help you when you're lifting things, do some deadlifts. Read some info on some good fitness/bodybuilding sites (theres tons on the web) of how to do them properly,. I do them once a week and they make a big difference strength wise. They work just about all muscles in your back and almost all in your upper body: Lower back, rhomboids, traps, biceps, abs, forearms.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Edit. I totally forgot to mention deadlifts. Good call bassist6666666.
  6. Deadlifts are a definate, I do them once a week. And they are paying off for me seeing how easy it is for me lift my ampeg cabs into my car now.
  7. Just a question... for someone with a bit of a sore back, are deadlifts a good idea? I ask this because my back is a bit stiff and I'd like to build it a bit without forcing it too much.
  8. May be best to consult a doctor about that one. I don't think any of us are in a position to determine whether or not deadlifts will help or harm you. They can be dangerous if you have back problems.

If you don't think you have that serious of a problem, start off light and stop if it hurts!
  9. If you're going to do deadlifts, STRETCH YOUR HAMSTRINGS!!

The lower back pain caused by tight hamstrings is killer. 2&1/2 I couldn't touch my toes, now I can get my head all the way to my knees standing up, and my chin past my knee, and about half of my shin on the ground. I didn't even work on it that hard, so flexibility shouldn't be a problem if you work at it.

My favorite back stretch is when you lie flat your back, then bring your knees back, and try and touch the ground with them. Hold that for a little, then straighten your legs out, and move them back to the ground. The only problem with this is that it looks crazy, and people will give you wierd looks if you're good at it(you'll see why after the first time you try it ;) ) so it might be best done in private if you're not comfortable with that.
  10. Do anything to prevent back injuries. I can't imagine a more common injury that is more debilitating for the rest of your life.
  11. If you are going to do deadlifts seek out a qualified personal trainer to teach you the proper technique and critique your technique as you are learning. Too often I see people performing deadlifts with terrible form. I try to help, but too often I feel it is a matter of time before these people suffer serious injuries as a result of their poor technique. Though it seems simple, the deadlift requires a very strict technique to be done safely, especially since it is quite easy to pile on a good deal of weight in this movement. I'm only 205lbs and move 405lbs for reps. Most beginners who are in shape can probably start out at near or over their own bodyweight which is enough weight to do significant damage.
  12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have some questions regarding training too, and I don't want to start a seperate thread..

1; What to do with your wrists? What should be not be done? Should they be kept straight and steady at all times? I suppose so, reason I ask this, is because whenever I start doing weights, after a couple of days my wrists start to hurt. Don't ask me why, I'm must be doing something wrong here. I also have very thin wrists, does that have something to do with it? How can you protect your wrists when lifting?

2; When doing exercises, like pushups, should your elbows lock or not? I.e; is it ok for your arm to be completely straight, or should there be a small bow in them at all times?

13. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I've got 2 Trace Elliot 1048 cabs I use at rehearsals, 1 is pre-gibson while the other is a post-gibson cab. While they're both heavy, I've noticed theyre-gibson cab is noticably lighter.

I'm a whimp, So I leave my Ampeg 810 in our trailer for gigs and I leave the TE's in our practice space. Makes for less heavy equipment to haul up and down stairs.
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've been thinking about this recently, so I appreciate this thread.

I'm a big guy, pretty muscular under the unfortunate layer of pudge. I've never had problems schlepping my gear around, but I have, on rare occassion, felt some soreness the next day from loading out in less than ideal circumstances such as:

1) A rushed loadout
    2) Slippery, icey ground conditions
    3) When I'm Drunk
    4) Someone "assisting" me, who jerks the cab in an angle my back doesn't appreciate.

Because these situations sometimes can't be avoided (except being occassionaly drunk, of course), the best thing to do is to try to get away from the bulky, heavy equipment as best as you can. No amount of body conditioning is going to save your back if you slip and fall on ice when you are lifting a 120 lb bass cabinet into your vehicle.

For me personally, as soon as I can get lightweight neodymium cabs to cover my gig requirements, the better.
  15. 1.The wrist should be held straight. I see a number of people who let the wrist collapse on pressing movements. If you are finding that you are able to use enough weight for something such as the bench press that you cannot hold your wrists straight then I suggest that you decrease the weight in the meantime and work on building your forearm muscles. I'd also advocate the same thing for instances where you're using straps to help you hold onto the weight, especially if you are actually intending to become practically stronger. If you're just bodybuilding it doesn't matter, but if you are trying to get better at lifting and moving things then you probably want to make sure that everything is stronger as it is hard to wrap those straps around a lot of things.;)

2. You should maximize your range of motion while avoiding "locking out". This is especially applicable to leg movements like squats, but can really be applied to most any movement.