Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back of Rack Organization Poll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marc40a, Jan 29, 2003.

1. All of the cords are neatly bundled and fastened.

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. I remove all cords from the components when I'm done playing.

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. It's a minor rat's nest that falls out when I remove the back lid.

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. I don't have the back lid anymore.

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    this seems like a "just how organized are you" poll...
    I started using those plastic clamps that come in very small to large sizes. I don't recall what their commerical name is but they ratchet tighter and release easy(Home Depot sells them). Helps keep the chords kinda neatly stored because it was looking like a disaster area...

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, I have a 6-unit rack with preamp, poweramp, compressor, multi-fx and BBE sonic maximizer.

There's a 6-outlet "thingy" [sorry, don't know the English term] attached to the bottom of the rack with self-adhesive velcro-tape. The power cables are secured with cable binders.

There's a switch a the outlet thingy so I can power it up with one push of a button.

I can set it up in 4 seconds, plug in the power cord and connect the speaker to the power amp - my band mates used to be sooo jealous. :D

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Does anyone know of any short power cables I could use so I dont have tons of extra cables hanging out of the back of my rack?

Peace
    Nick

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

All my power cables (except the one from my power strip) are folded and twist-tied so that they're just long enough to reach from the unit to the power strip. I basically refolded them the way they were when I got 'em new: in other words, I used the existing bends.

All my patch cables (a mixture of 1/4" and XLR) are short (either 1 or 2 or 3 feet long). No spillage from the back of the rack.

The main power cable from my power strip and my speaker cables are coiled neatly and tucked in above my power amp after use. The speaker cables remain plugged into my power amp (banana plugs). I don't tie these cables... they sometimes spill out when I reopen the rack, but no biggie, they gotta come out anyway.

6. Fuzzbass

I'm such a nerd... I took photos. Here's the back during gig use.

[​IMG]

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That looks so good, I think I might try it!

Peace
    Nick

8. Fuzzbass

...and with all cords rolled, ready to go. :p

[​IMG]

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    VERY NICE Ken!;)

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Nick, if you find a source, please let me know.

I've got one on my Crown power amp and it's great. It's about 3 feet long and very heavy duty. Almost the thickness of an air conditioner cable. Probably 8-10 awg.

Maybe I should write to Crown to see if they sell replacements.

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Aight....so here's another of my "Should already know" questions.
    In my rack system I am currently using a SansAmp SDDI pedal going into a Bass POD Pro, then into a BBE 362, then into the active input on my head unit. I pretty much use unbalanced instrument cables for all the connections but recently had a fellow Bass player tell me to use TRS??? cables in the rack. I know that TRS cables are grounded and I heard they greatly reduce noise and hiss. Where would/should I use TRS cables in my setup as opposed to instrument cables.
    Thanks for the help and patience.

And until I get a rack pic posted...suffice to say my rack was pretty much a rats nest until I found these cool zip tie thingy's!