1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back of the Neck - Fine lines in 3 piece neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deutscheeiche, Mar 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. deutscheeiche

deutscheeiche

Mar 11, 2016
    Hey good people of talkbass,

I am about to get a really good deal for a Warwick masterman which I wanted for quite some time.
    Playability is a dream, but I can slightly feel the connection where the different pieces of the neck join together at the backside. There is no visible gap or anything but you can feel it when you run your fingertip down the neck.

Will this get worse or cause any trouble in the future?
    Edit: I dont mean the part where the fretboard meets the neck, I mean the backside of the neck.

Cheers

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    It sometimes happens with multi-laminate necks. You tend to feel it more with a Warwick since they don't put a thick plastic finish on the back of the neck. Not a problem, in my experience. Just lightly sand it with fine sandpaper and, when you can't feel the joins anymore, wax it up. My Streamer LX was like this when I bought it, the previous owner used to leave it in the van overnight after gigs and all that expansion and contraction left little ridges as you describe. Since I did a light sanding and regular waxing, it has never reoccurred.

The Masterman is a badass bass, btw, hope you enjoy it.

deutscheeiche likes this.
  3. deutscheeiche

deutscheeiche

Mar 11, 2016
    Thanks Doc, thats just what I wanted to hear. Yeah its such an awesome bass and I still dont get why they discontinued it.
    I bought this mainly for the comfortable neck since I am coming back from Carpat tunnel and rsi which really messed my life up....

Anyways will buy it, will sand it and enjoy it.

Cheers

Doctor J likes this.
  4. I'm curious. What would the cause of that be? Is it simply that the different pieces of wood have shrunk or expanded a tiny bit differently?

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Yup.

6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    So buy it and take some oooo steel wool and rub them down until you can't feel anything.

7. I know this is ofttimes the standard for evening out the "borders" on a multiple-piece neck, removing gloss from an overly-sprayed neck "sticky" in humid weather, or a number of neck and/or fretboard issues, but using fine Steel Wool of the 000 or 0000-grade can be a recipe for disaster if the Pickups and and Electronics are not completely taped shut: the magnets of the vast majority of Magnetic Pickups will pull the *tiny* steel shavings inside and basically ruin them. :bawl:

In this day and age you can find the equivalent of 0000 Steel Wool made out of plastic, or use the back of a Kitchen Sponge, both of which don't need a huge amount of taping-up prep time or the vacuuming up of Every. Single. Particle. of Steel Wool.

Trust me: I did it once to "matte" the glossy back of my old '96 Ibanez 1206 six-string, and those are hours that I'll never get back from Life...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I've never had this problem with the laminates on a neck-thru bass.
    Nor are the back of my necks glossy.
    But I agree.Steel wool is not the best thing to use if you're not careful.
    There are fine grade sanding sponges that are much better.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    +1 to staying away from steel wool. There's other non-magnetic abrasives that will work just as well.

JustForSport and gebass6 like this.
  10. deutscheeiche

deutscheeiche

Mar 11, 2016
    I just used sanding paper and gave it a lil bit of waxing afterwards. Smooth as silk now.

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    You do have 3M ScotchBright pads over there? Or is it BASF? ;)

They're far better than old-tymey steel wool and its issues.

12. deutscheeiche

deutscheeiche

Mar 11, 2016
    We do have them here, but they are not that common.