Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back on the Saddle?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rodan, Oct 21, 2002.

1. It's been about 5 years since I've gigged with a band - Bak in the day, I had a great band made up of two of my best friends. We put out a cd, had a second in the works, and toured all the east coast. Never made much money at all, except maybe fto cover gas, and food, but had a great time. Then came time for us to go our separate ways. I ended up moving to Nicaragua (where I was born) for a 3 years and then went to grad school. Life got in the way of music.

Now, I'm in Boston and it just so happens that my guitarist friend just moved here as well. Since we almost had a symbiotic relationship (except for our constant but always laughable volume wars) in our last band, it only makes sense that we both want to start playing music with each other again.

Thing is, I'm not sure how to do it anymore. Over the last few years, music was on the backurner. Last time I played in a band I had a crappy job with flexible hours where I could take time off to tour on long weekends, and life was much simpler. Nothing mattered more than playing.

Now, I'm in search for a good job, and obviously something that requires a lot more responsibility and commitment - a career. I'm also married now. There never seems to be time. My friend and I keep talking about getting together to get our new project started, all original music, but we never seem to be able to do it (let alone start thinking about getting other band members, like a drummer).

So, for you married guys, who have dayjobs and other responsibilities to attend to - how do you do it? I crave so much to be able to play again, and regularly - I have been wanting to play again since the band dissolved, but now it's different...

I always have time at home to sit down and practice for a bit, but when it involves others, and scheduling and having to balance music with everything else, it just seems a lot more difficult.

So, how do you guys do it? I mean, is it stupid to ask this? Should I just assume that I'll be lucky to get this thing off the ground and maybe play once every two months or something....

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It takes some commitment, and time management as well.

I have a wife and 2 kids, and a fairly demanding day(and often night) job. On my hell weeks, I often work 60+ hours, 20+ of it at home nights and weekends, getting woke up in the middle of the night, etc.

I also find time to be active at church, including playing 3 worship services per week, play in an oldies band that rarely rehearses but plays out about twice a month, and play in an originals band that rehearses weekly and plays out about once a month.

I don't spend as much time with my kids as I would like, but I spend more time with them than most fathers do. And I have had to cut down on my online and reading time as well. But it is worth it.

God 1st, family second, career 3rd, music fourth, and everything else whenever I can fit it in.

3. It can be done, but you have to set a schedule if you really want it to work, and keep a commitment to the schedule. Luckily, in my main band, all four of us have regular Mon-Fri/9-5 schedules, so that helps. We have scheduled practices (every Wednesday) which is no problem, but sometimes booking gigs can be a nightmare, with vacations, family commitments, whatever. We can only play gigs on weekends, which limits us somewhat to where we can play, and we have to book them weeks in advance to make sure we don't have any conflicts. This band was together for a few years before I joined, so they had the practice time set up long before I got there. The drummer and I are the only married guys in the band, and he has no kids, so that's never an issue.

I'm running into the same problem as you trying to put together a second band with my brother and a friend of his. We've been talking about it for months, but my brother has a two-year old, and family stuff always comes before anything else. Plus, his wife is a nurse, and works weird shifts that change every couple of weeks. Finding a regular day to get together so far has been impossible. So sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on the situation.