1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back online after the tornado

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, May 7, 2006.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This is what we've been dealing with in Waco this weekend:
    http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/slideshows/050606tornado/index.html

Late Friday night storms moved in. I turned on the TV and their "tornado predictor" was predicting tornados in two places, one being very close to our house. Not long after that the tornado sirens started going off (Waco was the sight of the deadliest tornado in Texas so we have this warning system). I went and woke my wife and pulled her and the dog into the hallway in the middle of the house. The wind was blowing really hard and the last I saw before we took cover was the electrical wires outside going around and around like a double-dutch jumprope. All you could hear was wind. The power went out soon after the sirens started. That lasted about 20 minutes. I was monitoring the situation on the wife's mp3 player/radio and when they said the storm was breaking we went to bed.

Woke up the next morning and still no power. Went outside to assess the damage. We don't really have any big trees in our yard. Just crape myrtles and two new trees that we planted. The crape myrtles were beat down and our new red oak that had been solidly tethered down was uprooted. We were lucky. No damage really. We spent the morning helping the widow across the street clear full-sized trees from her yard, cutting them up and stacking them at the road. One had fallen over the power lines that go to her house, ripping them out of the box. We began to hear rumors in the neighborhood that it would be 48 hours until power was back up. As I drove around later that day I believed it. I saw snapped poles everywhere and I actually saw a couple of snapped poles that were completely upside down standing on the wrong end. There were full-grown giant live oaks completely uprooted and tossed aside, the coca-cola plant had it's roof torn off, houses were melded with trees. It was pretty crazy but amazingly there were no deaths reported! While we were helping our neighbor we saw a TXU (electric company) truck slowly cruising around assessing damage. I flagged them down to notify them of the down power lines behind this lady's house. They said power would be back on in about an hour. Boy were THEY wrong!!

After we helped our neighbors get cleaned up my wife and I decided to continue with our plans for the day. We went to a friend's wedding in a part of the city that was undamaged. Then went out to eat japanese food and then we went and saw The Fiddler on the Roof put on by our local civic theater. I kept imagining kserg in the show, stumbling out drunk and botching lines. He would have been perfect.

Anyway, the power was still out when we got home. I was really beginning to worry about the pounds and pounds of venison we have stored in our freezer. All those wonderful suasages and steaks coming closer and closer to melting point. The power finally came on almost exactly 24 hours after it went out. Hallelujah!

Check out the slide show I linked at the beginning for a few pictures. Big props to the local electric company guys. I saw these guys out working hard all day and many of them probably worked nonstop for a really long time to get us back up.

bc

ps - No, I did not deliver water to everyone in the neighborhood for those of you who are wondering

pps - Sorry to say that the fence sections that the Qintar built for me are leaning a bit at this point. Not sure what I'm going to do about it. the Qintar told me that he guaranties his work but I'm not sure if that includes tornados.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    [​IMG]

Someone's home:
    [​IMG]

BTW, this was the second tornado in 2 weekends. I don't remember any at all in Waco last year!

bc

3. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Wow, glad you're alright Brad. It's weird how tornadoes are so unpredictable....one house will be fine while it's neighbor...well, isn't there anymore.

I'm glad I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with a tornado and it's destruction. Glad to hear none of your venison spoiled either!! :)

AuG

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Glad your OK out there! It could have been much worse for you...take a look at those Katrina damaged basses that have been posted a few times!:eek: Hope you community is back up a running smoothly soon!

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Good to hear that you're ok.

6. I think some builder should make a DigMe tornado bass out of that tree

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Beat me to it!

Glad to hear you're all right.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I wonder if pecan would make good tone wood?

bc

9. That would be nuts!

chirp, chirp...

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yes. It can.

I've seen the occasional pecan giotar at LINT( Luthiers Interactive of North Texas) meetings. It's not bad at all. I haven't yet seen a bass. You could be the first.:D

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Dang! Missed my shot at the sausages!

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    In all seriousness, I hope you, Mrs. Qintar and Roxie are doing fine.

13. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm glad you guys are alright.

I dunno if TB would be able to afford another Save the Qintar fund.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Tornados would not dare to approach Brad.

Good to hear your OK.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

BC I am glad you are safe :)

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm glad your safe, and I suggest next time you take the .357 mag out and give that tornado a lesson!:p

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    All I need is my incredible earth-shaking yell.

bc

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    And you people can't see this right in front of your face! It's like he just sits there and makes fun of us.

:mad:

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It appears that the tornado has scared Brad short:

[​IMG]

Glad you made it though unscathed.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I didn't take those pictures by the way. I pulled them from the newspaper website. If I'd had my camera with me on Saturday though I could have take some crazier pics.

bc