1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back Pain in the Upright Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bassplayer888, Aug 21, 2012.

1. bassplayer888

bassplayer888

Aug 21, 2012
    So I play upright and I am having a lot of low back chronic pain. I play on a high stool. Are there any specific chairs out there designed for this problem?

Thanks

2. isolated

isolated Zenkaku

Dec 7, 2004
    What sorts of methods have you used to address the back pain so far (besides TB?) :)

Have you seen a physical therapist? Chiropractor? Tried stretching/strengthening exercises? Has your teacher (or other bass players) noticed any physical abnormalities in your playing? How long has this been going on?

I'm asking all these questions because it's likely going to take more than an orthopedic chair to correct the problem.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have had problems with back pain and I feel much better when I stand up and move about when playing - although, that is of course for Jazz! :p

When I feel my back ache - I try to stand more upright and lean my head back - this seems to help?

4. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
  5. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Here is a great link to some footage of Dr. Randell Kertz, the well known if not famous author/player, demonstrating some common basic faults that up-right player fall into. As a chiropractor and player he understands these issues.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Good stuff!

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I have a feeling he's more of a bass guitar player by the way he holds the DB in the video. The bass is set very high for ergonomic playing, with the nut over the top of his head. How is he going to play a Db on that extension?

8. What also might work are MBT shoes. See picture attached.

It helped me with establishing a correct posture and not only during playing the bass!

Attached Files:

9. DuluthBassist

DuluthBassist

Feb 12, 2008
    Duluth, MN
    Over the years of sitting I have gone from high stools where I practically needed a step stool to get up there, to a short stool slightly taller than a chair. If you sit, as I do, with your left foot on a rung of the stool and your right foot on the floor, feel how you are having to reach the floor with your leg... It's really uncomfortable. Perhaps you also put your right foot on a rung, which is ok, but then (for me) it seems a little precarious. I really like having my stool short enough so my foot is flatly on the floor - sometimes putting both feet on the floor. This means a stool roughly around 30" tall. My students mostly stand, but I am constantly aware of their posture and weight distribution on their feet and making sure that they are comfortable and relaxed in their body position before playing. Try some different heights of stools and see how it feels to you. Oh yes, put that endpin in... So you don't have to reach up to play in the lower positions. Everything should feel comfortable!

10. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    "I have had problems with back pain and I feel much better when I stand up and move about when playing - although, that is of course for Jazz!

When I feel my back ache - I try to stand more upright and lean my head back - this seems to help?"

I play old time music and do move alot to the beat. I've discovered that setting the nut above my head, which means I do lean my head back and look up, seems to prevent back aches. When the nut is at the "proper" height, it doesn't take much more than an hour for me to feel tense in the back.

Can anyone else comment on this?

11. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    My back aches at proper height, as of recently, i did have my chiropractic adjustment recently, i might try it above my head, maybe it is when i go into thumb position i might be jerking my back or coming up too fast...it is only recently. Btw i am standing all the time

Having a good chiropractor or even a misuse is very helpful in aches and pains

12. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I, too, am always standing.

13. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    I sit on a stool and move around and it helps, but a 3-4 hour gig is tough.

I use a belt around my waist, the type that furniture movers use to help keep my lower back straight. It had suspenders but I cut them off. It ain't sexy but it does help.