back pain = suck

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by silent method, Jul 22, 2005.

1. So yesterday on my way to work (i bike every morning) my pedels totally locked up and sent my flying over the handle bars.

I fell to the pavement and slid of a good 5 or 6 feet, when i finially came to rest the whole world above me was spinning. I finially manage to coax myself into getting up and run a quick invintory. Turns out the fall wasnt too bad, shaken up and a lil dizzy I go with my work day.

As the day goes on my back is getting tighter and tighter and so very sore, by 7.00pm I cannot walk 2 feet to save myself.

My parents brought me to the hospital and as it turns out I have a sprained back and just walking to the bathroom makes me passout from the pain.

Luckly though it is somthing I can treat on my own I have to go through a series of heat > strech > cold over and over all day for the next 1 or 2 and then I should be as good as new. I am just sooo lucky I was wearing my helmet or I would have been a lot worse, my head is the first thing that hit the ground and It hit pretty hard. Anyway the next week is going to be a sore one but I guess they say what dosnt kill you makes you stronger.

Wish me luck tb!
  2. Wow. That sucks dude, best of luck for a speedy recovery. That must've been freekay, but all in all yer ok, so that's great.

I never flipped OVER handlebars, but I did have an atv stall going uphill once years ago and it landed right on my back after it tossed me off going backwards downhill. Didn't sprain my back but hurt like hell for sure. I can only imagine what you're goin thru. Daymn!

My cousin Channing hit a car with her bike a few weeks ago (her fault I surmise) and did the end-over thang. She WASN'T wearing a helmet, and she's the worse for it...tho on the mend.

3. wow wish your cousin all the best for me man thats terrible although it could be worse and Im sure she will be wearing it next time.

thanks for your well wishes!
  4. You're welcome, just glad you're on the mend. Even when it starts to feel better thru the therapy, do it a little extra to be sure. And have a really hot girl help you stretch. :smug:
  5. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    It's terrible that you sprained your back, but you're lucky you didn't do worse. In April, I bent down to pick up my 3-year-old son and had to be carried out of the house on a stretcher, shot up with morphine and taken to the emergency room. It turns out that I had (have) a bulging disc that was touching a nerve and the back spasms which resulted were incredibly agonizing.
    My orthopedist recommended two weeks of bed rest with massive doses of ibuprofen (as an anti-inflammatory), followed by a regimen of abdomen-strengthening exercises. It turns out that the average person's back muscles are usually quite strong, but the spine is additionally held in place by the stomach muscles. So, if you lose conditioning in that area and bend and/or lift the wrong way (twisting, not using the legs, etc.) you can do a number on yourself.
    Anyway, it's something to think about...
    Now, where did I leave that SVT cabinet? ;)
  6. oh believe me, the hot girl will be there! she is actually my girlfriend, she has been sooo supportive in all this, she actually waitined in the emergancy room for over 3 hours for me. lol and this wasnt the first time she has done that. she has always been my strength
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yesterday must have been a bad day for backs or something. I work primarily on a farm over the summer (used to work full time, but college makes that hard :p), and yesterday we were unloading our trailers of hay. Well we pull a new trailer into the barn, and just like the last two, I hop up to the top to toss the bails over to the next person... so, I get up on top, grab a bail, and start walking to the front where I would toss it... well, evidentially the stack wasn't the best, cos it gave way under me. I fell roughly 15'-20' (I could figure it out - 10 bails high, and the bed of the trailer is 4' off the floor), and landed flat on my back. Of course, my head then bounced off the floor as well. It hurt, a ton, and now my entire back is swelled and spazing, but the doctors said everything was alright, and it'd just hurt for a while. So that's my back story. Oh yeah, I have a four hour gig tomorrow too. I think I'll be sitting...

Edit: I'm an idiot: I hope you're okay, and that you feel better soon dude. In the meantime, let the downtime become basstime!
  8. lol thanks man! you get well soon to! back pain isnt somthing to mess around with as I am learning now. I can't even walk to the bathroom without passing out unless i have someone to lean on
  9. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    that sucks dude. i have also sent myself sailing over the handlebars many times.

me, i dont like back pain, but its better then hand pains.
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Back pain does suck. I strain my back at least 2-3 times a year and lasts a month or so. Exercises and stretching are best for a strain, but I don't know about a sprain. Get well soon!
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wow, silent method, I feel for you. I've had back pain for a long time now, and it's gone way beyond a "sprain". That's probably how it started out, at first, but it's gotten out of hand since then.

If I can offer a few tidbits of advice:

a) stay away from the Vicodin, unless you absolutely need it. Back pain can surely be very agonizing, but drugs aren't the answer, that's a very dangerous path to travel down.

b) do "basic exercises", like lying flat on your back and doing knee bends. That can be a little painful at times, but in the long run it'll serve you well. If you're in serious pain, you'll probably say "gee that's a stupid idea", but believe me, ultimately, it's the best possible thing for getting you back into some reasonable semblance of "capability".

c) swimming is an excellent exercise. It's probably one of the best things you can do for your back. If you don't have a pool, go to your local Y. And don't overdo it, just be gentle and try to flex your muscles a little. Over time, you'll know when you're ready to get more aggressive. Gentle flexion is one of the best things you can do for your back.

d) watch out for sex. I don't know about you, but I tend to get pretty wild sometimes, and there's no quicker way to screw up your back than wild sex. If you have a partner, you might want to think about exploring the "gentler" aspects of partnership. That can be pretty rewarding actually, the trick is just to be aware of the physical dimension.

e) be very aware of "driving", lots of cars have suspension systems that aren't all that great, and tend to bounce your back around. If at all possible, use cushions and that kind of thing.

Best of luck to you - I was flat on my back for almost three months at one point, couldn't move, couldn't do squat, except for keeping my leg up in a particular position on the couch. The back is something you definitely want to take care of, and pay good attention to. :)
  12. ryco

Apr 24, 2005

Yeah back pain is no fun. Mine has finally healed pretty much after 10 years. Injured mine heavy lifting at work.

My only advice is to not be in too big of a hurry in your efforts to heal. Try and be extra aware and cautious/conscientious when lifting or bending over. Gentle stretching is very helpful. Also invest in a soft back brace and use it when working around the house.

Also follow advice from Non-seq about staying away from drugs. Drugs mask pain (pain is the body's way of telling you to cool it) and can lead to dependency. Drugs should only be used for recreational purposes (used responsibly of course).

Good luck in your healing!
  13. sorry to hear that! hope you get fit asap!

you should probably buy a new helmet as well. I remember reading the manual for mine stating that a hit to the head requires a replacement helmet, since the "structure" is damagaed, and the material won't be as strong.

i crashed into a car once. it was really, really funny. it was early morning, i had right of way, but it was a blind corner. being so early neither of us decided to slow down and check what was going on. car comes out, i hit the brakes and skid, hit the door and go over the bars and fast plant the window... imagine basically putting your face up against a window and blowing air into it, so your cheeks go big. brilliant. i laughed while the driver was in shock and my nose bled... :D
  14. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Also other abdominal exercises like crunches and leg lifts while lying flat on your back. That is, exersize your whole trunk and not just part of it.
  15. Bummer to here about your back.
    Hope your recovery is swift.

I know the pain :crying: , I had a fusion in my lower back 4 years ago.
    I crashed hard wide open on my old Honda CR250 :eek: and ruptured a disc.

It started hurting again this past Feb. and I have been out on disability since.I have no idea when or even if I'll be able to return. :bawl:

MORAL: Take care of your backs people, It's the only one you have.
  16. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have a lower disc that acts up as a result of hockey and work.. I ahd to quit goaltending unfortunately, and it still gives me some issues. Back pain SUCKS!
  17. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Heh... when i saw the tittle i thought you are complaining because your boobies are too big...

Fast recovery buddy:)
  18. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Quiting hockey sucks... i know few players who had to quit because of back problems... i really hope i'd never have to go through that... love that game...
  19. WOW!! thank you soo much everyone for your kind words and advice, you can be sure I am listen to it all and really trying to do the right things. I have been trying to stay away from the drugs as much as possible only taking 3 advil so far and 1 muscle relaxent although im going to try and stay away from the muscle relaxent as it makes me really sleepy.

Today isn't too bad, I can see some progress but I am still going to take it slow. I made it to the bathroom today with a cane but just being able to walk around now is a huge thing for me.

As said before to anyone that hasn't had to deal with somthing like this be cearful with all things back related you really dont want to go through this.

Thank you again for all your kind words!! And for everyone else going through somthing similar (there seems to be a lot of us) GET WELL SOON!!!