Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back Pain?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SomecallmeTim, Mar 2, 2005.

1. I've been having some pretty strong lower back pain in the last few weeks, and I know it's a common thing for people, but I'm only 20. I've been trying to get back into running and lifting (haven't done much of either since I was in high school) but when my back stiffens up getting out a chair, I get discouraged about it. I'm a college student, so it's not like I'm moving furniture all day long or something.

So, have any of you dealt with back pain that you couldn't figure out a cause for? What did you do and how did it work out?

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    You should really pay attention to what your sitting on and you posture. If the way you sit when you're studying or working at the computer leaves your back stiff when you get up, you might want to change it. Make sure you are sitting up straight and not reaching. Also take breaks. Also a good mattress is important. Depending on the type of pain you have it is good to do some stretching each day. You might also be wearing shoes that are bad for you. That's a start.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yep, I had this problem. It was because I was getting fat. I never realized until my doctor explained to me the tremendous pull of gravity on your lower back if you have a gut. After I thought about it, I realized he was right. I lost the weight, and my back stopped hurting. Did wonders for me knees too.

I'm not saying you're fat, but you did mention you stopped lifting and running. Have you put on any weight in the stomach area recently?

-Mike

4. Could have a lot to do with posture, I'll try to start being more aware of how I sit. The mattress I have up here is horrible, but I've tried to make it better with a decent pad. Short of buying my own mattress, which I have no money for, that's all I can really do.

As for weight, I've actually lost about 10 pounds since I stopped working out(stopped when I hurt my knee two years ago). I'm still a very thin guy, so I tack it up to lost muscle mass, especially leg muscle.

I think I'm going to try to set up something with a chiropractor in the near future, but I'm hoping that a few of the mentioned tips will make a difference.

Thanks for the help, guys. :)

5. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    A plywood sheet will fix almost any mattress to help with the lower back problems. When placed under the mattress that is.
    IMHO

tk

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i hope you have access to health coverage....

if you can go see a doc... hopefully you don't have any herniations (i do)

best of luck, and remember, just cause you're only 20, doesn't mean your immortal (i use to think i was).

best wishes and be careful!
    :)

7. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i've had lower back pain for 15 years now...i think it's from a combination of lifting weights incorrectly in high school, jobs that required lots of standing and playing gigs with a heavy warwick corvette proline slung around my neck. about two years ago i was incapacitated from the pain for a few weeks. i mean i couldn't bend over to flush the toilet it was so bad. anyway i tried a chiropractor and that didn't really work so i finally had an MRI and, voila, back pain gone. i found out the source of the problem (bulging disc), adjusted the way i slept (on my side and back, never on my stomach) and now it's pretty much gone, except for the occasional twinge. i think a lot of the pain came from not knowing the source of it and once i found out it put my mind at ease. good luck...

8. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Where do you keep your wallet?

If you are sitting for long periods and you keep your wallet in your back pocket, try moving it to your front pocket/ (tremedous help for me)

Where is your mouse in relation to your butt when you are at the computer? If you are reaching (at all) this will kill you.

Stretch, stretch, stretch.

Heat is your enemy, ice is your friend.

If your stress level is high your body will react in strange ways.
    For example, I am a fit(fairly), strong (fairly) guy. I had always worked hard when I was a kid on the farm and I had hurt my back a few times.
    Then, I went into business for myself and lost my ass. During this time I was bent over, lifting my wheel chair bound father in law's feet onto a pillow and bang! I hit the ground. Felt like someone shot me in the back. Went to "Alvin's house of pain" (my massage therapist for when I am broken...no fun but highly effective) and the first thing he asked me was "What is going on in your life?" "This back isn't from an injury."

In any case, before you go to the chiropractor, go to a good massage therapist. Once your muscles are relaxed and the spasms are reduced then a chiropractor can re-align your joints.

Epsom salts bath, ice and stretching when the back starts to spasm.

Luck, I've been managing this for 15+ years.

9. http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=10464&category=gearguide&page=print

Try doing a solid core exercise routine once you start to feel better.

Strenthing your abs obliques etc will keep your back properly aligned, and increese your over all sports perfomance!

I've suffered for years with a bad back and acctually have a herniated disc......Core exercises brough me back. 4-6 weeks and you can see tremendous results!!!!!

I know this kinda sounds like an add but I just so happy to be pain free I thought I'd share.

Good luck

10. Great advise! I deal with folks all the time with chronic back pain and those that do best are those that get active and especially work on strenghtening their abs. Physical therapy is the key.

Sorry this took so long for me to write but I had to stop and do a set of crunches! :D