1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

back pain

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I have been having lower back pain. Not so much where my spine is but feels as if it is at the tips of my rear hips bones.
    Today I woke up and it hurt really bad . Enough that it is very distracting. It does get better through out the day but always returns the next morning. It also hurts really bad if I have to stoop or work bent over. It has begun to hurt while playing standing. I go for long walks every day and it is uncomfortable . I don't feel it is a "disc" but don't know what to do. I went to the doctor and he wanted me to do physical therapy. I have been doing exercises but it is not getting better , it is getting worse. The doctor seems to not want to go to extremes to figure it out.

It started when I was sitting on a bench ,my dad had just repaired it, and was so relaxed i could have fallen asleep in it. Then , Crack!!!!!!!!!, it split in half and I fell back , hit my head on the brick of my house and ended up twisted up like a pretzel.

I fear back surgery . Anyone have any experience or advice. MRI ect....

This is really starting to affect me in a negative way.:(

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Could be caused by many things:

Hereditary
    poor posture
    lousy mattress
    lack of exercise
    over-worked at work
    stressed out about stuff
    playin' a heavy Hondo or Ibanez 'copy' bass from the late '70's

If you can, seek treatment through conventional medicine, or consult a chiropractor.

But get a good reference for either because if either isn't very good. They can make matters worse.

3. Matt Fat Cat

Matt Fat Cat

Jul 5, 2006
    If it's soft tissue... it could be your gluteal muscles (not your butt) or maybe the psoas muscle. I play alot of tennis and have similar pains as you describe. Yoga has worked wonders for my back and knees and shoulders. Something to think about also is to use ice and moist heat. If your stomach can tolerate it, take NSAIDs... I perfer Naproxen Sodium (ALEVE) to many others. Good luck!

4. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Well, about a year ago I went to a doctor complaining about back pain.

Turned out i had Scheuermann's Kyphosis and needed corrective surgery

I'm sure it's nothing severe like that in your case, but I would still be sure to go to a doctor that specializes in the spine.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I recommend a multi faceted approach...the traditional stuff (back doctor, chiropractor (perhaps)). You might want to consider acupuncture too (by a well trained practitioner).

I see a doctor trained in Bejing who can do amazing things for people. He's helping my back, is helping my wife's back, has eliminated my daughter's migraines (as well as a neighbor's).

Amazing stuff when done properly!!!

Consider if anything else has changed in your life...any new stress? Any changes in diet? It all matters.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I had back pain much like yours. Here is what worked for me. I am not providing you medical advice, just an idea of how I was able to eliminate my back pain.

I stretched my hamstrings a couple times a day. I took a light dose of muscle relaxers. After two days of the pills, the pain was gone. I am still doing the hammie stretches as a preventative measure.

-Mike

7. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Pay attention: lay on an ice pack with your feet elevated. That helps reduce the swelling in the disks that cause pain in that region and down the leg. If persists, it may be muscular which is much easier to overcome. Use heat, motrin and do what you can to change your routines so that you don't tax those muscles. Be careful, heat will make disks swell and increase the pain if the condition is not muscular and relates to your disks. I did not know this and kept using a heat pack and making it worse. I became opiate dependent over that and all I ever had to do was use ice instead of heat. Good luck.

8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I should look into this! My knees feel like they're going to explode when I'm on the floor setting a vehicle on the hoist. Then my back reminds me that I'm geeting older when I stand up. Thanks for the tip Matt!

9. do you have a good bed?

10. It could be that you've moved a funny angle and yanked something out of place. A bit of manipulation can sort it out.

It does however sound more like soft tissue damage, which will probably just take some time of its own to heal.

11. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Sounds like you just strained some back muscles when you fell backwards. It will heal in time. Like Mike said - do some stretches, BUT be gentle. If it starts to hurt lay off a little.

If you have a pool available you may want to stretch while in water. Lets the muscles stretch without all the body weight.

It may take a little time, but know these kinds of muscle strains DO heal!

Be careful when it comes to taking pain releivers. I only take medication for short term relief when pain becomes to, well...painful. Medications mask pain and pain is your body's way of saying you may be overdoing stretching or bending

Hoping you get well soon

That'll be $145 pls

12. Matt Fat Cat

Matt Fat Cat

Jul 5, 2006
    That's bad. For me, playing college tennis 5 days a week 2-4 hours a day, if I don't stretch properly sometimes my whole body gets so tight I can't walk. At my age, I need this. Yoga was recommended to me by an Ortho and a PT after a knee surgery. I learned basic technique from a DVD called Brian Kest's Power Yoga (there's 3 in 1 video series). Very relaxing for the mind and body, my strength has increased greatly also. Good luck!

13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks for all the advice!, My father has been on my ass to do yoga. I walk and stretch at least every other day . I may look at different options. I DO need a new bed for sure. I don't think this caused the injury but it is not helping.

14. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Thanks Matt! I'll check into that.

Steve