1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back pickup tone on Lakland Daryl Jones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was playing a nice Lakland Daryl Jones five today. Given the price, neck, and tone, it may be the best deal of all the basses I have played this summer. I did notice one concern though. I could not get the back pickup burp associated with a Jazz bass. I know my MIM fretless Jazz has burp to spare, even my budget BBN5 has the burp. Is this a common thing with DJ5s?

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    After checking some Youtube videos, I think the problem was the set up and me just not being familiar with the bass. It is a heck of a lot of bass for $1,349!

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i've always been curious about those models. isn't there a boutique version also?

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Strings or setup, DJs are a classic 60s style J.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, but I have never seen one in person though.

6. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I love the necks on those!

I think a lot of people change out the pickups and drop J-Retro's in Those DJ's...at least around these parts...

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If I get it, it will stay stock, at least for a few months.

faulknersj likes this.
  8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Changing the pickups in a DJ is crazy, they are already top quality. Thats one of the keys to the success of the skylines.

StayLow likes this.
  9. Back pickup burp may also be somewhat amp related. When I played my DJ4 in the shop through an EBS Reidmar "stack" (EQ set flat) there was burp aplenty. At home when played through my SWR WM12 not so much burp.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was playing through an Orange Terror amp and a small Orange cab.

11. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I actually ordered mine with a J-Retro installed! Agreed, love the neck. Too bad my Skyline DJ5 could anchor a battleship. But it sounds awesome.

faulknersj likes this.
  12. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I've a Korean DJ5 with Aeros. Awesome. Wish it wasn't 35" scale.

I have several other J-bass type 5'ers that cost many times what the DJ5 cost me new. The main brands you'd expect, U.S. and Euro, no need to name them. Based on that, here's what I know and what I've been told:

1. The DJ5 is as "boutique" as any of them. Perfect fretwork (mine was not Plek'd), fit, finish, top-quality pickups and hardware, mine's under 8.5 lbs and balances great. From what I've seen and heard, these were all excellent. I've heard from very credible sources that the newer (Indonesian?) models aren't nearly as consistent in quality.

2. I've tried most J pickups and the Aeros are as good as it gets so I won't ever change 'em. Newer models have a different pickup brand. I'm not hating on those, I'm just saying I'm glad I've got the Aeros.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have 2, both under 9 lbs. BEST J5 ever for me, regardless of price and better than the many I've had that exceed twice the price (really)! The neck is to die for. I looooove the 19mm spacing at the bridge with the narrow nut, and the small body. The USA version is only available in a 4 banger.

14. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Mine are both newer, and I'd love to score an older one with the Aeros. The fit and finish on both of mine is immaculate BTW.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The one I played yesterday is beautiful all white, if it doesn't sell, I think I will put in layaway next week.

16. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I just goofled and amazon sells these through their warehouse fulfillment, including used in very good condition for $200 less

if Lakland had 34" scale I'd have to work hard to find a reason not to get one. I've played a few in a local accommodating music sore and I love the feel of the neck and the super low action, but while some hands can work the 35" scale without a problem, mine just don't.

17. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I hear you about 35" scale, but keep in mind Lakland 5ers are among the most finger/fretting hand/arm-friendly because of the narrow nut and the fact that the bridge is right at the body heel. If I had to shed all but 1 bass, my 2012 DJ5 is the one I'd keep.

Yeah Doc-the white/maple is drop dead gorgeous. I prefer it to my charcoal, but that's the color I found the light one in.

18. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I have one with Aero's and a J-Retro. I have other stuff, but I play my DJ way more than any other bass. Have an AJ with Hanson's and a Sadowsky preamp that is pretty rad too.

IMO the Skylines are the best moderate level basses out there (1k to 1.5k). I've had 5 (3 still with me) and haven't had an issue with any of them.

19. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Im not going to be popular but from the moment i plugged my DJ5 in i was very disappointed with the tone, especially the bridge pup.
    I was coming from a Fender HW-1 Jazz and to my ears the DJ5 was just too warm and fat.
    Instead of just changing the pups i had it turned in to a PJ, complete with a set of Nordstrands, but even that didnt help much.
    Ive had 6 Laklands over the years, all skylines, and love everything about them, except the DJ5 tone.

In all other respects i loved that bass, and given the chance i would buy another, as i think my tone likes and dislike have changed these days.

20. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yeah-sometimes that can be a moving target, LOL.